Orioles and Rockies engaged in " ongoing trade talks " on Colorado outfielders

xian4

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Option 1 (Sign Upton):

1. Lose pick (negative value if MLB production)

2. Pay Upton ($100 million +)

3. Keep Prospects (positive value if MLB production)

Option 2 (trade for Cargo/ Blackmon):

1. Lose prospects (negative value if MLB production)

2. Keep pick (positive value if MLB production)

3. Pay Player

For me it's all about who you have to give up and whether they are more valuable than the #14 pick. For me I am going to keep the prospects almost every time.

Good summation, and I agree an actual prospect is more valuable than any draft pick.

Yeah, I don't think any of them are likely to be worth what they'll cost in trade relative to their salaries. Blackmon isn't a very good hitter, Dickerson and Gonzalez are good but not spectacular and come with big question marks. I'm thoroughly unenthused about the prospect of trading a haul for any of them, especially when Upton and Cespedes are out there with practically zero market. I just don't think the Coors effect or their personal home/road splits (which come with alot of noise) are reason enough to discount them - there are plenty of other good reasons.

If the Orioles are in serious discussions, then I don't think a haul is required, because we don't have a haul to give. Carlos Gonzalez is a 116 OPS+ corner outfielder, worth about 3 WAR probably, who is going to make about $37 million over the next two years. He shouldn't require a haul in order to acquire.

If you are discounting home/road splits, why do you think Blackmon .288 .336 .437 .773 isn't a very good hitter?

Even if he OPSes say .725 in Camden Yards, that's an OPS+ around 95 with decent defense (capable of CF) in a smaller ballpark than Coors and good baserunning skills. Much better than anyone out there in 2015.

If the Orioles are in serious discussions, then I don't think a haul is required, because we don't have a haul to give. Carlos Gonzalez is a 116 OPS+ corner outfielder, worth about 3 WAR probably, who is going to make about $37 million over the next two years. He shouldn't require a haul in order to acquire.

Salary dump, yes.

Nothing will happen. The O's have no minor league talent that they can give up. And Upton or Cespedes makes more sense than an off injured CarGo. Dickerson is interesting but he's going to cost a bit.

Who knows? Nothing about the way the O's have approached this offseason has seemed to make sense. A Givens/Bundy deal could probably land one of them. In general, I agree. We do not have the minor league pitching talent to acquire any of these guys. Less CarGo is a pure salary dump. That seems doubtful to me though. They are going to want something.

If you are discounting home/road splits, why do you think Blackmon .288 .336 .437 .773 isn't a very good hitter?

I don't care exactly how big his splits are, but I do care about assessing his overall line in a park-neutral context. His career 97 wRC+ is not very good. Steamer projects him for a 92 wRC+ next year. Even his .288/.336/.437 line from last year was only good for a 101 wRC+. He's a pretty good contact hitter but doesn't walk a whole lot and doesn't have much power. Not a bad hitter by any means, but he would be below average for a corner OF position. The only thing he does very well is run the bases, but that hasn't really translated into being a plus defender.

For the love of G-d, please do not trade Bundy or Gausman for a Rockies outfielder with Upton and Cespedes still available as free agents.

Bundy is essentially a rule 5 player this year or he goes on the 60 day DL. He won't be a reliable starter for 190 innings and 30 starts til 2018. Trade him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would they sing Parra only to trade a left handed hitter? This makes me wonder about anyone they would try to trade.

That's a fair point. With CarGo it makes sense because of the salary difference. Not so much Blackmon or Dickerson.

Could be they don't think Dickerson can play OF anymore, in which case the Orioles might use him at DH.

If a trade were to happen I would fully expect it to be CarGo...lefty and wouldn't cost a ton as I view him as a salary dump. Question is should we still go after alverez for DH if we get another lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure. Or even sign Davis anyway and forget spending significant money on a starter. There aren't any options left that are worthy of big money.

Why would they sing Parra only to trade a left handed hitter? This makes me wonder about anyone they would try to trade.

Well, signing Parra in the first place was odd because he becomes their 4th LH OF. They have to move someone.

Sad thing is that the Rockies media outlets all seem to be mentioning Gausman and the lowering demands to Bundy/Harvey.

If this is a salary dump I don't see the Orioles giving anything of value

http://www.purplerow.com/2016/1/12/10755910/colorado-rockies-trade-rumors-baltimore-orioles-carlos-gonzalez

Archived