Orioles Hackathon

DrungoHazewood

Yeah, that's the downer. I am mainly a crystal/sql guy, but I don't anyone else who would share the same dual interests. Kinda sucks that it has to be teams of 3-6

I'm no DBA, but I do delve into custom report writing to create reports for data in our accounting system (sql based) using crystal reports, SSRS and a few other tools. There's a program at the university of Washington with regards to business intelligence and data visualization that interests me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Had to register everyone when applying. Any ideas are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good. Thanks for responding. I haven't given it much thought yet - you know, being a hack and all - but I will ping you if I do have any ideas. Go get 'em. Do the OH proud.

Sorry for the delay, spent the weekend catching up on life after taking Friday off for the Hackathon. I'll be posting this in pieces throughout the day (at work), so bear with me.

The day started weird for me. Talbot County Schools were closed (we got almost an inch of snow and it was pretty icy). Never crossed my mind to check so there I am at 8:15 outside the pre-school wondering where the teachers are. Luckily it opened at 9 and I was on my way. Arrived at OPACY at 10:30 and the hack was already in progress. My two team members arrived on time and texted me the premise while I was motoring up I-97. Unfortunately I missed the introductions by Kevin Tenenbaum and the team from Booz Allen, more on them later.

The event was held at the DH lounge on the 4th floor on the warehouse. Best view of the field is from the Men's room ;)

Dan Duquette was in the lounge when I arrived chatting with the Booz Allen staff. He did not hang around the entire event. Kevin Tenenbaum did spend the entire event with us. He was available and helpful for all the teams.

Next post, the data...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I agree, he’s Aaron Judge in the infield seemingly.
    • I wouldn't try Westburg in CF as his primary position (as a super utility,  sure).  He’s been so stable in the dirt.  Holliday is a maybe.   I'm more confident in Mayo's defense than others.  Not that he'll be a better defender, but that he'll be a net positive.  Austin Riley-esque.  Plan B would be 1B IMO because of IF experience. Tough to really say for 2024 though with how Mateo and Westburg are playing (and RHHs).  Urias is the low man but don't want Mayo sitting that much. Probably takes an injury for Mayo to get a shot before rosters expand.  For Holliday and Mayo both:  our IF is really good.  Players have key strengths even if not great all-around like Gunnar/Adley.  Westburg is trending toward being plus all-around.  
    • That 3-4 record is largely because of Kimbrel. I’m not a big believer in the 1-run luck theory, especially now that we have the BS ghost runner. 
    • I have a question for you and I don’t mean for this to come across as accusatory (unless it is true and I don’t know if it is). Are you an Oriole fan or more of a “fan”/detractor of Jackson Holliday? I ask because you seem to be very focused on the struggles of this one 20 year old player. However, last week, we had a tremendous pitching performance by our entire starting staff and to my knowledge (I don’t recall a single comment from you about that). Maybe you did and I missed it? Which is very possible. Or maybe you just weren’t on here and we’re busy with other stuff? I get it we all have lives. I bring this up because I have noticed that you have very little to say/contribute regarding all of the positives regarding this team who has the second most wins in the Majors. And I was curious as to why that is? (No judgment. Just a curiosity.)
    • Saw some clips of him last year and was interesting. 
    • 2024 is the year of the pitcher for the O's.  DeLeon is a dude and "chalk" for guesses.  Forret can pop.  Povich isn't on most (any?) top 100, but he's been fringy for the past year+.  He's trending toward a top 50 type. He won't be on lists, but Braxton Bragg has a 14+ k/9 and a 1.69 bb/9.  Maybe a BP nugget next year depending on how he’s doing it. Willem is doing things as a C.  Beavers has been fringy and has been strong so far.  Both probably need a bit more. FCL is too soon to guess... but Almeyda and Liranzo are interesting.  Still a top 5 system I think.  I don't know other organizations as well, but (a good shot at) 3 top 15 guys carries a lot of weight.  Even "losing" Cowser/Ortiz and maybe HK, they are back-filled by good pitchers who weren't really on national radars.
    • In your opinion what has made Jackson Holliday the number rated prospect in all of MLB? I ask because if you believe in that valuation/talent profile/projection, that is not a player at age 20 who you say he’s only average here so he must go there (where who knows how he’ll be, but oh well on to the next).  Mookie Betts is the absolute rarity in his ability to move all over the baseball field and excel. How many other guys have done that and can realistically do that? I would bet very few. I’m not sure if that is the wisest call to make that the standard for anyone, let alone your most prized minor league asset.
  • Popular Contributors