Davis Signs With Baltimore (7/$161M, incl $42M deferred)

TonySoprano

People who are criticizing this move are not looking at the big picture. I would say the Orioles chances of extending Manny have gone up dramatically after this move. 1) It shows him that this team is committed to winning and will pony up top money to keep their top players. 2) If the Orioles gave Davis $161 million, they'll almost certainly offer Manny a boatload of money on a long-term contract as well. If this move plays a major role in the Orioles keeping Machado, I'll say the Davis contract will certainly be worth the money no matter how he performs.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This franchise needs pitching, Mancini and Walker make good bait for solid or better pitching prospects. They are studs and should fetch a handsome return. I'm sure most scouts rate them as jewels

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if anybody is thinking Walker is a Jewel. Heck even with the year Mancini had it doesn't seem that many scouts are sold on him. Saying that though I think the should have some value, Mancini more than Walker. Doubt though you are getting a high end pitching prospect with either one without packaging them with others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be wrong. Walker isn't even a top prospect and the view on Mancini overall is not positive. Mancini needs to show again this year that he is good before being a top prospect. Walker is a 3rd piece in a 3 or 4 player deal.

Trumbo will be gone in a year. Still room for Mancini. We can play Mancini at DH before we inevitably shift Davis there.

Walker is no big loss. If we can turn him into anything that would be great. Maybe someone else's equivalent OF to get a 1 WAR guy in RF.

I have used the Angelos law firm personally and met Mr. Angelos and I can tell you he doesn't have dumb people working for him. I can't imagine he has a no trade clause. Think about it! Why would either side be opposed to it? He would give them 5 or 6 teams he would accept a deal to and be done with it. Both Texas teams (from Texas). the Angels and Dodgers, and probably St. Louis and Colorado. Any of those teams can afford him and the Orioles would accept this list. Why would we have a no trade clause? Chris's way of showing the fans he always wanted to stay? Just another way to get money out of the team if we want to trade him.

Trumbo will be gone in a year. Still room for Mancini. We can play Mancini at DH before we inevitably shift Davis there.

Walker is no big loss. If we can turn him into anything that would be great. Maybe someone else's equivalent OF to get a 1 WAR guy in RF.

Agreed. There is no rush to get Mancini out of town. He can still be of good use to this team.

We need a LH bat.

We need walks.

Without Davis, even if we signed Cespdes, wo would probably been the most right handed team in MLB and potentially put up historically low walk totals.

I agree the price was too high, don't get me wrong, but Davis fills a huge need on this team.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

We need OF'ers who can catch the ball. Right now with Kim and Riemold or Trumbo or Davis at LF and RF we will have one of the worst defensive OF's in the majors.

People who are criticizing this move are not looking at the big picture. I would say the Orioles chances of extending Manny have gone up dramatically after this move. 1) It shows him that this team is committed to winning and will pony up top money to keep their top players. 2) If the Orioles gave Davis $161 million, they'll almost certainly offer Manny a boatload of money on a long-term contract as well. If this move plays a major role in the Orioles keeping Machado, I'll say the Davis contract will certainly be worth the money no matter how he performs.

Sure hope your right

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anyone who thinks this contract will not impact future contracts is hopelessly naive.

I'm coming around to the idea that you should almost never extend/sign a hometown player for market rates. Either extend during arb and buy out some FA years at a discount or only work with players that want to be there enough to offer up some sort of discount.

Archived