The AL East Moves So Far -- who has improved?

Frobby

I don't know about anybody else ...but the offense is moderately better at DH and likely in LF with Kim. If the rule 5 guy can handle the majors at the plate we could ge improved there as well.

On to the rotation the pitching is considerably worse every fifth day without Chen.

Overall the team has taken a step backwards with little chance to add anybody in free agency that can cover Chen's production....a trade for a LH starter is still possible but not very likely to be an improvement over Chen.

We must hope for breakout seasons from Tillman , Gausman, Kim, And Rickard.And bounce back seasons from Wieters, Hardy, and Gonzalez. A healthy Bundy can only help and will the real Jiminez please show up this season. Plus Davis ends up being worth the hefty contract!

We can hope can't we?

Ownership sure did step up and spend money now didn't it?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ownership is wonderful. Gee whiz, we are lucky.

It was a surprising amount for the team to have spent - on the tails of such a unsuccessful, impaired season.

Did not imply they spent it well. Just that they spent it. As many have been calling for for years. Just spend it.

There was never going to be a rebuild while Buck and Dan were still here.

And I wouldn't have started one -- yet. I'm just saying if this spending spree doesn't bear fruit they may regret it. But that's self-evident, I suppose.

Spending spree almost implies that we added to the team. At best, we have the same amount of talent as last year.

I don't see that. It is just a matter of spending for spending's sake as has been advocated across the land for the Orioles. Regardless of economic impact of events.

Ownership spent enough to put less talent on the field this year compared to last. It's all about being competitive and keeping those season ticket sales from dropping. They can sell the Wieters, O'Day, and Davis moves to those folks.

You think? I thought prices were going up. So your opinion is just that it is a con job?

Boston has improved the most. NY might have improved slightly. I think Tampa is treading water and Baltimore and Toronto have both gotten a little bit worse. But with another starting pitcher and outfielder, the Orioles would go over the positive side, in all likelihood.

NY might have improved slightly.

Slightly.

Drew to Castro is a wash, unless Castro figures himself out in the AL, and in one of the biggest media markets ever. I think they'll tear him to shreds.

Young to Hicks is a wash.

Murphy to Sanchez is a small move, but it's too hard to tell what Sanchez will do. It's only back up catcher and won't replace McCann any time soon.

For once, I'd rather see a full healthy season of Teixeira because Greg Bird could be one of the scariest players they have; and they don't have room at the inn for him.

Brendan Ryan to Jonathan Diaz a non-move.

Starting pitching is the same, but we have to wonder if the gains of Severino will offset Sabathia getting worse. Chapman is scary as heck, but Adam Warren had a very similar WAR last year and has now gone off to the Cubs. The loss of Justin Wilson will not be easily replaced, and not by Kirby Yates or Tyler Olson.

The Yankees replaced everything but haven't built anything either. They are also a year older.

Slightly.

Drew to Castro is a wash, unless Castro figures himself out in the AL, and in one of the biggest media markets ever. I think they'll tear him to shreds.

Young to Hicks is a wash.

Murphy to Sanchez is a small move, but it's too hard to tell what Sanchez will do. It's only back up catcher and won't replace McCann any time soon.

For once, I'd rather see a full healthy season of Teixeira because Greg Bird could be one of the scariest players they have; and they don't have room at the inn for him.

Brendan Ryan to Jonathan Diaz a non-move.

Starting pitching is the same, but we have to wonder if the gains of Severino will offset Sabathia getting worse. Chapman is scary as heck, but Adam Warren had a very similar WAR last year and has now gone off to the Cubs. The loss of Justin Wilson will not be easily replaced, and not by Kirby Yates or Tyler Olson.

The Yankees replaced everything but haven't built anything either. They are also a year older.

Well certainly their bullpen won't be as good as last season. I can't imagine A-Rod will have the All Star year either.

Archived