• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with him going on the field once the game is over, but to be clearly cussing out the umpire in the manner he did - in clear view of everyone after a WIN? I think MLB needs to step in and give him a 1 game suspension. Otherwise, they're saying it's ok to completely disrespect the umps.

He was arguing balls and strikes over a teammate's at-bat, from the dugout? In a way that actually got the ump's attention? I was watching live on MASN and they didn't show anything, so it was confusing.

Harper struck out looking in the 4th on a questionable pitch because Rendon was stealing and the catcher might have blocked out the UMP to make the call...however it looked like a strike to me.

Harper continued to bark and stare at the ump from the dugout.

The strike zone was up/down all night.

We all know how Harper acts and this was no surprise that he was ejected... IMO he should have been tossed in the 4th

Harper struck out looking in the 4th on a questionable pitch because Rendon was stealing and the catcher might have blocked out the UMP to make the call...however it looked like a strike to me.

We all know how Harper acts and this was no surprise that he was ejected... IMO he should have been tossed in the 4th

I see, thanks for the context. I tuned in during the 9th, so didn't know what was going on, just confused that Harper was ejected seemingly randomly from the dugout, and the Nats aannouncers on MASN are really, really biased and were acting like it made no sense and have no context.

So he should have been ejected then. The umpire said, I paraphrase, that although everybody from the dugout yelled at him for making a terrible call on Espinoza, he threw out Harper because of his actions in the fourth inning. Toss him out then. Toss Ortiz out on strike two.

Don't have a rule that arguing balls and strikes is an automatic ejection, then give the umpire leeway to decide when and when not to enforce it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was ejected for arguing balls and strikes.

But that's just the beginning.

After his teammate hit a walk-off home run to win the game, Harper ran on the field to celebrate with his teammates ...... which as far as I know, you are not allowed to do once you've been ejected from the game.

AND, he proceeded to scream "**** YOU" at the umpire as he was celebrating with his teammates ....... all of which while the television cameras were focused right on Harper's mouth.

You kinda have to suspend him for that, right?

If you don't, you can't ever suspend a guy again.

You know, I take that back. I don't know what Ortiz yelled at the umpire. Maybe this all is allowed now that we make baseball fun again.

As Corn pointed out, it is not unusual at all for a player or a manager to run back on the field and yell some more at the umpire IMMEDIATELY after getting ejected.

You can make the argument that not getting further punishment for that is wrong ..... but as it stands now, it is not unusual at all, and it is not seen as particularly egregious. I guess it is considered a "spontaneous reaction", and therefore all part of one continuous act.

What Harper did was different. He was ejected from the game, and left the field (and the dugout.) Then, after his teammate the hit the home run to win the game, he came out of the clubhouse and back onto the field to celebrate the walk-off win ....... AND he also took the opportunity to swear at the umpire.

Again, you can argue that the unwritten rule of a player or a manager not necessarily being further punished for running back onto the field and arguing some more immediately after being ejected being seen as one continuous act is wrong, and that it should be directly addressed. But it IS indeed seen and viewed that way. When CoC and backwardsk were debating this, it reminded me of the scene in the movie A Few Good Men, when Kevin Bacon asked the witness to point out where exactly in the Marine manual a "Code Red" was. It was not in the manual. However, Tom Cruise came back and argued the obvious ....... that just because it was not in the official Marine manual that that does not necessarily mean that the term (and the practice of it) does not exist. He gave the example of the location of the Mess Hall as an analogy. The location of the Mess Hall also was not in the official Marine manual, but of course that does not mean that everybody does not know where it is, or how to find it (just follow the crowd at chow time, which the witness stated that he did.)

I really don't understand all the Bryce Harper defense from the media and guys like Cal. The guy's got some serious anger issues and is kind of a d****bag. So he really shouldn't be surprised when he gets tossed from games over his big mouth. He will definitely be getting some well deserved time off without pay. That's just all part of "making the game fun again"!!! :laughlol:

I'm also curious if a player like Flaherty started acting the same way, and regularly getting ejected, if the media would think it's good for the game of baseball.

I read that Strasburg is getting 15mil/year for 7 years of the contract and then 10mil/year after it is over for the deferred money.

I think I already know the answer but if he opts out of year 3, does he forfeit the 10mil/year later on and was really only signed for 3/45?

I really don't understand all the Bryce Harper defense from the media and guys like Cal. The guy's got some serious anger issues and is kind of a d****bag. So he really shouldn't be surprised when he gets tossed from games over his big mouth. He will definitely be getting some well deserved time off without pay. That's just all part of "making the game fun again"!!! :laughlol:

I'm also curious if a player like Flaherty started acting the same way, and regularly getting ejected, if the media would think it's good for the game of baseball.

Luckily the Orioles have never had a beloved player or manager that would treat umpires like this. Harper was so out of line I nearly broke my pearls I was clutching them so hard.

One game and a fine.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MLB suspends <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Nationals?src=hash">#Nationals</a>’ Bryce Harper for one game and announces an undisclosed fine for his actions Monday night.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">May 11, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived