Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Reimold is not really the guy you put in as a defensive replacement, hence my original musings. My very point is that if Rickard starts, then Reimold or Kim may not be on the roster.
Reimold plays RF when Trumbo DH's v LHP. Reimold platoons with Kim in LF if necessary. Rickard starts out as late inning defensive replacement and Pinch runner. From there we'll see.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reimold plays RF when Trumbo DH's v LHP. Reimold platoons with Kim in LF if necessary. Rickard starts out as late inning defensive replacement and Pinch runner. From there we'll see.

So is what you are saying is that Kim does not have to earn a starting role? The O's just hand it to him?

So is what you are saying is that Kim does not have to earn a starting role? The O's just hand it to him?
Basically he has to lose it. I think they will give him a long leash. He isn't in open competition for the job. They can't send him down and if it took Kang through May to find his swing v MLB pitching then I think they'll give Kim that long.

Basically he has to lose it. I think they will give him a long leash. He isn't in open competition for the job. They can't send him down and if it took Kang through May to find his swing v MLB pitching then I think they'll give Kim that long.

They can keep Kim and Reimold on the 25-man roster without starting either one of them every day.

They can keep Kim and Reimold on the 25-man roster without starting either one of them every day.
Right. But because Kim is LH he will get the starts at the beginning of the season. They will move to the platoon if he continues to struggle.

Right. But because Kim is LH he will get the starts at the beginning of the season. They will move to the platoon if he continues to struggle.

I'd agree with you if Rickard was not doing so well offensively and defensively. There is no reason to put Rickard on the bench if he is outplaying the other candidates for left field. He is a perfect fit for the team as long as his OBP stays over .350. If that happens, with his baserunning ability he will score a lot of runs. And save a lot of runs with his defense.

Kang did not start for the Pirates last April because he was not hitting. A position opened up at 3B/SS and he stepped up in May. If Kim doesn't kick it into gear the rest of ST to beat out Rickard he will probably end up on the bench or in the minors through a negotiated agreement to go down and get at bats.

I think there is a competition for LF going on right now and so far Rickard is winning that competition. Kim's 2.8m cpntract in 2016 will not stop him from being a bench or platoon player. Not if someone is outplaying him. Heck, Matusz is making more than that and he is a LOOGY.

I'd agree with you if Rickard was not doing so well offensively and defensively. There is no reason to put Rickard on the bench if he is outplaying the other candidates for left field. He is a perfect fit for the team as long as his OBP stays over .350. If that happens, with his baserunning ability he will score a lot of runs. And save a lot of runs with his defense.

Kang did not start for the Pirates last April because he was not hitting. A position opened up at 3B/SS and he stepped up in May. If Kim doesn't kick it into gear the rest of ST to beat out Rickard he will probably end up on the bench or in the minors through a negotiated agreement to go down and get at bats.

I think there is a competition for LF going on right now and so far Rickard is winning that competition. Kim's 2.8m cpntract in 2016 will not stop him from being a bench or platoon player. Not if someone is outplaying him. Heck, Matusz is making more than that and he is a LOOGY.

Have to agree on this one -- and I believe Buck will give who he thinks is the best player the most playing time. By season's end, both Kim and Rickard could finish with 300-400 plate appearances, but right now Rickard should be in LF. And possibly leading off.

Assuming both have high OBP, what about Kim/Jones/Rickard in the outfield and Trumpo/Alvarez platoon at DH?

No way Trumbo gets paid 9M just to DH against LHPs. He will play RF and some 1B. Both Kim and Rickard would have to break out in a major way to push Trumbo to a Delmon Young role.

o

(vs. PIRATES, 3/23)

A lead-off single to start the game.

An RBI-double in his 2nd plate appearance to get the Orioles on the board.

Rickard is having a 1980 Drungo Hazewood-like Spring Training.

This kid is raking. Keep him in the lineup till he isn't.

Hitting .383 with a homer and 6 doubles, OPSing around 1, fielding real well and running the bases well.

He's certainly made the team, and I'd expect he'll at least platoon as long as his hitting is reasonable. At worst, he's a needed late inning defensive replacement.

Archived