Rickard?

WarehouseChatter

Let me be the first to say, thank GOD we didn't sign Fowler.

How does that relate to Rickard?

I suspect that he is inferring/presuming that Rickard will not only be a staring corner outfielder for the Orioles, but that he will at least equal if not better Dexter Fowler's 2016 season on offense and defense ...... thereby, perhaps saving the Orioles a good chunk of change by paying Rickard $500,000 for this season instead of paying Fowler $11 Million for this season, plus an additional $24 Million over the next 2 seasons.

Also, the signing of Pedro Alvarez probably makes less room for an additional corner outfielder, since Alvarez will probably play a lot of games at DH, Trumbo will probably play a lot of games in rightfield, and Davis (as far as I know) is penciled back in at 1st base.

Of course, Spring Training performances are not necessarily indicative of how good or how bad a player will be when the real games start ...... so perhaps we should hold off on "Thanking God" until at least 2 or 3 months into the season.

Does anyone think the O's would have still signed Pedro Alvarez if they had Fowler?

I don't think that they would have.

I don't know what everybody else thinks.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buck hopes with 40K screaming that he does not start having emotional at bats if he makes the team.

I think it's the perfect time to learn how to handle the emotions of a big league game. I'm rooting for the kid. I think he is exactly what this team needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll let you guys do the outfield positioning. I'm referring to the idea that Rickard will be a far better leadoff hitter than Catfish Fowler.

It's possible. Fowler has had far too many leg injuries for my taste and I'll bet that he had his best year in 2012 and will never be that good again. He hit double digit triples every year up to that year and has not done

it again since. His slugging took a nose dive (or should I say returned to normal) after that year and his OBP and BA took a dive last season both career lows. I'm going to go out on a limb and say we dodged a bullet not signing Fowler.

We'll see if Rickard can keep this up during the season. IF he can, I agree. He will steal more bases, carry a high OBP and probably a higher average with similar power. Rickard certainly is no stranger to hitting triples

himself and doubles shouldn't be a big deal either, he just won't hit the home runs though Fowler really doesn't either. This is IF Rickard continues what he is showing right now when it counts. It sure is easy to get

excited about what he is showing, that's for sure.

Joey Rickard. On base 4 times today.

I know it's only spring training and we're not suppose to get exited about anybody ,but I like the way he plays. He might be the best rule 5 pick since Duquette took over.

Archived