The Trumbo/Davis RF situation....

ChuckS

I thought one of the reasons Davis was an attractive free agent was his versatility? Now that he is signed he is a 1B only? Because of increased injury risk he can't move around the field, which is part of his value? Count me as one who thinks Buck will do what is best for the team and wins. If that means Davis in RF then that's where we will see him.

He wasn't a particularly attractive free agent.

The O's bid against themselves.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is not a better RFer than Trumbo. Davis might not be a better first baseman than Trumbo either, but Chris does not play OF well. He has a strong arm. He runs well for a big guy. Thats it. Trumbo is a workmanlike, non spectacular Rfer with a pretty solid arm. Good enough for our RFer.

Don't shoot me. I'm just stating the facts. Davis is not playing outfield unless injury requires it. It's not my decision ;)

I think Davis will play a lot of RF if Trumbo does a bad job in the first several weeks of the season. Buck didn't hesitate to put Davis in the OF in games where he had Steve Pearce or Chris Parmalee playing 1B, and they were both serviceable outfielders, Buck just liked the other alignments better at times.

I think Davis will play a lot of RF if Trumbo does a bad job in the first several weeks of the season. Buck didn't hesitate to put Davis in the OF in games where he had Steve Pearce or Chris Parmalee playing 1B, and they were both serviceable outfielders, Buck just liked the other alignments better at times.

I'd be surprise with the new circumstances.

I'd be surprise with the new circumstances.

What are the new circumstances? If you are referring to Davis' contract, I do not expect that to make any significant difference. Davis is being paid to help the team win games. He has always played wherever Buck has asked him to play, and I see no reason why he'd cop an attitude now, when his financial future is secure so he doesn't need to worry about how changing positions might affect his hitting or otherwise affect his market value. All he needs to worry about is playing on a winning team, and I'm quite confident he'd rather win the most games possible than play strictly at 1B.

What are the new circumstances? If you are referring to Davis' contract, I do not expect that to make any significant difference. Davis is being paid to help the team win games. He has always played wherever Buck has asked him to play, and I see no reason why he'd cop an attitude now, when his financial future is secure so he doesn't need to worry about how changing positions might affect his hitting or otherwise affect his market value. All he needs to worry about is playing on a winning team, and I'm quite confident he'd rather win the most games possible than play strictly at 1B.
Seems Buck plans on Chris Davis playing first. From yesterday: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Buck wouldn't talk about Pedro Alvarez, but he said Chris Davis is his first baseman no matter what happens <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">March 8, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He wasn't a particularly attractive free agent.

The O's bid against themselves.

You'll never hear me argue against your logic here but they did sign him and part of the reason they valued him so highly is his versatility. What's the use in valuing a skill set of a player that you never intend to use?

You'll never hear me argue against your logic here but they did sign him and part of the reason they valued him so highly is his versatility. What's the use in valuing a skill set of a player that you never intend to use?

I don't know that.

From what I heard the main reason they signed him is because the owner wanted to.

Does Angelos know that Davis can play a mostly adequate right field?

I haven't got a clue.

I don't know that.

From what I heard the main reason they signed him is because the owner wanted to.

Does Angelos know that Davis can play a mostly adequate right field?

I haven't got a clue.

That's what I read. Is that Angelos wanted him.

Trumbo is your primary RF. He might DH when a LHP is on the mound and Pedro sits. That is pretty simple. The difference between Trumbo and Davis in RF isn't worth moving Davis around. Apparently he wants to play 1B. Sometimes keeping everyone happy is more important than maximizing your chess pieces position on the board.

There's a fine line between being respectful to a player, and letting him put himself and his preferences above the team. In my view, no player on a losing team is truly happy. So as with children, sometimes a manager must basically force people to do what's right for the team. I mean heck, Cal Ripken wasn't thrilled about moving to third base. But it was at least an ongoing conversation and possibility, and he at least stated publicly that he would do whatever was best for the team. I hate the idea that CD might be just outright rejecting the notion of playing right field. Makes no sense to me.

He's far more athletic than Trumbo, and has a hose of an arm. It would also solve some logistical issues and give us a chance of having a great defensive team.

I don't know Trumbo well, but I hear he plays a solid first base. CD plays a solid first base. I hear Trumbo plays a poor outfield. CD plays a solid outfield. Do the math and you can easily see - playing CD in right makes more sense for the team.

In fact, the third or fourth time Trumbo trips and does an accidental somersault chasing after a lazy fly ball... I best this topic will come up again, and Buck will have a long talk with Chris.

Trumbo is your primary RF. He might DH when a LHP is on the mound and Pedro sits. That is pretty simple. The difference between Trumbo and Davis in RF isn't worth moving Davis around. Apparently he wants to play 1B. Sometimes keeping everyone happy is more important than maximizing your chess pieces position on the board.

And it's this. All the people confused about Davis and his ability to play the OF at anything but a below average level need to reassess. He isn't that much better than Trumbo out there.

Archived