Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

Not talking about a long leash. He earned a few starts to see if he could get it together. If he gets bombed after 3 or 4 make the move.

A couple loses could mean the season. Do you think the O's have margin for error this year?

Also keep in mind he was released now for a reason.

You think it is worth a ~4M to give him that opportunity?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple loses could mean the season. Do you think the O's have margin for error this year?

Do the O's have a great pitcher that's a lock to come in and pitch better than Gonzalez?

Yes, I think it's worth 4M to a team that's given out some very questionable deals over the past few years.

He was a good soldier here the whole time, played their yo-yo option games to AAA and back several times and didn't complain about it. He earned more than what he got from the team. Loyalty may be dying but it sholdn't be dead either.

Any fan who gives a darn about 4 million dollars for the team has their priorities out of whack.

This team has consistently shown that money saved, is funneled to profit, not into payroll.

Yes, I think it's worth it to spend 4 million to see if he can pitch. But the O's have made the judgement he cannot. And I hope it is without regard to his salary. If it was a consideration then clearly winning is not a priority.

How could they have not foreseen Gonzo being gone?

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Any fan who gives a darn about 4 million dollars for the team has their priorities out of whack.

This team has consistently shown that money saved, is funneled to profit, not into payroll.

Yes, I think it's worth it to spend 4 million to see if he can pitch. But the O's have made the judgement he cannot. And I hope it is without regard to his salary. If it was a consideration then clearly winning is not a priority.

Of course. All this payroll going up is a figment of my imagination.

What is 4M, not like Dan would sell a competitive balance pick to help with a payroll crunch.

Oh wait...

Hah, do you listen to some of the stuff you spew? No one can say with a straight face that:winning is not a priority " after this offseason

This isn't a win now move per se. It's a save money now on damaged goods. Wright (most likely) or Wilson will be taking his place once Gausman joins the rotation.

Saving money can be a win now move, it gives Dan increased financial flexibility for when he inevitably trades what is left of the farm team for a marginal upgrade.

I am also not willing to say that Gonzo gives the team the same chance to win that Wright or Wilson do right now.

It's about results too. Tillman throws 90 whatever, but he better start getting batters out, which he didn't do well enough in 2015.

Jake Arrieta wasn't getting the results either. How did that work out? Tillman had one bad year and still has plus stuff.

Tillman is throwing 95 MPH. The two situations are not comparable.
It's about results too. Tillman throws 90 whatever, but he better start getting batters out, which he didn't do well enough in 2015.

Actually it isn't. 95 is 95.

I didn't think the O's had it in them to do something like this. I'm surprised and a little bit impressed.

Could be premature but probably isn't. Optioning Miggy would in all likelihood have been delaying the inevitable.

We still have any of the 3 Ws who will probably put up similar numbers as starters than Miguel in his current state.

Miguel certainly contributed a lot and was a very valuable piece of the starting rotation from 2012 until mid-2015.

Crazy that now 2 of the starting five in 2014 are gone. But that's baseball for you. Careers can go south in a hurry.

Archived