Orioles Release Miguel Gonzalez

SticksandStones

I would have taken Gausman for $1 if I had one more roster spot. I got Schoop for $6 (the other O's fans in my league bid him up), Pedro for $1, Trumbo for $2, and JJ for $1. Britton went for $19, more than Kimbrel and Jansen.

Odd, your group didn't like the O's as players but still thought Britton would get a lot of save opportunities.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think DD is not a very nice person. The Blue Jay fiasco last year. The way he is treating Kim and Gonzalez. The sending Chen to the minors last year. The Fowler thing where he wanted him to pay for the Orioles losing the pick. The way he has handled long time players like Markakis.

It is pretty easy to see whey he was out of baseball for so long. I don't really care what the results are anymore. Time to cut him loose after the season.

He didn't treat Gonzales poorly. They gave him a chance and he couldn't produce. Chen was optioned to help the team, it's not Dan's fault that he reacted poorly. Dan signed Chen when MLB teams weren't knocking down his door. There was nothing "mean" about Fowler's negotiations with us. We offered him more money / years than the Cubs did. Markakis was offered a competitive 3 year deal, but chose to head to Atlanta for a guaranteed 4th.

Dan isn't perfect, but all of your points are complete hyperbole or flat out wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are freeing up the roster spot for a better SP then fine. But given the state of our SP it might have been better to stash him in Norfolk for a while as some insurance. Just using the money saved to cover Kim's salary or pick up a couple of fringe LH RP, doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Everyone that is fine with the O's coaching staff deciding after 40 AB that Kim isn't a ML ready player should be fine with the determination that Gonzo is done.

If he's done you don't pay him 3.8M to pitch in Norfolk.

2 issues here.

1. You can't tell me that Miggy's 2nd half performance didn't already have eyes focused on how he was gong to pitch in ST.

2. So, just 40 AB went into the decision, no batting practice or anything else went into this?

2 issues here.

1. You can't tell me that Miggy's 2nd half performance didn't already have eyes focused on how he was gong to pitch in ST.

2. So, just 40 AB went into the decision, no batting practice or anything else went into this?

No issues here.

I am just saying that anyone who is OK with the way the coaching staff evaluated Kim should be fine with them cutting Gonzo instead of sending him down.

No issues here.

I am just saying that anyone who is OK with the way the coaching staff evaluated Kim should be fine with them cutting Gonzo instead of sending him down.

I guess we can agree to disagree, to me, its 2 separate unrelated issues.

IMO, I truly don't see this as a money thing, yes the timing was done, so they could save money, but, if they honestly felt, AAA would have turned things around, then, he would have been sent down.

Do you really think, going to AAA, is going to recover that missing 4 MPH?

I guess we can agree to disagree, to me, its 2 separate unrelated issues.

IMO, I truly don't see this as a money thing, yes the timing was done, so they could save money, but, if they honestly felt, AAA would have turned things around, then, he would have been sent down.

Do you really think, going to AAA, is going to recover that missing 4 MPH?

Of course not.

It also won't help Kim if he can't turn on a MLB fastball.

Yes they do.

The talent level if more varied, not nonexistent.

As I stated a few days ago Liz pitched over there and he was mid 90's in MLB both before and after his time in Korea.

They do indeed. Liz was only throwing 93 over there though based on the articles I posted earlier in this thread somewhere about the KBO and velocity. There are pitchers in the KBO that throw low 90's, but it seems

mid to high 90's is extremely uncommon whereas it is pretty common in MLB. The average fastball in the KBO is what Gonzo was throwing; 88MPH.

Edit: Actually, those articles were posted in the Kim thread somewhere in those 50+ pages. It's not in this one.

So they didn't know he had a fastball weakness in how many season of ball?

Or he doesn't, at least not to deal breaking degree, and the O's haven't given him sufficient time.

For instance: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Teams in Korea train for almost twice as many weeks as in U.S. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> want him to continue that training in minors.</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">March 31, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I am by no means sold that Buck and CO are correct that Kim can't be at least a 1 win type player in the majors.

Archived