Will Caleb Joseph be Ubaldo's personal catcher?

ChipTait

Caleb has caught 8 of Ubaldo's 9 starts. I kind of pity him.

It's so mentally taxing that it's making him struggle at the plate. haha. Remember when he first came up and just focused on defense and couldn't hit at all? Well now he has to focus on trying to do whatever the heck he can to get Ubaldo to do well.

If Ubaldo winds up in the pen, then if/when he comes in, whoever is catching will be his catcher. They're not going to switch catchers to accomodate a middle reliever.

Who has ever suggested this?

Yeah, really. A guy like Wright--with a blazing fastball might be a pen candidate, but a "walk machine" is no good for the pen.

I believe that Art was referring to ("Who has ever suggested this?") whether or not Jimenez would continue getting his own personal catcher should he be moved to the bullpen, not whether or not Jimenez should be moved to the bullpen.

I've never heard of a relief pitcher getting his own personal catcher, which is what ArtVanDelay was responding to in Nevermore's post.

I mean, it may have happened at some point in MLB history with a knuckle-baller like Hoyt Wilhelm when he was in the bullpen, but probably not for a pitcher that was sent to the bullpen because of the fact that he had been so bad in the starting rotation in the first place.

Archived