Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Well that depends on what his asking price is. I agree there is much more potential to go wrong than right if the market allows him to get a (relatively) huge contract. He was a 2-3 win player with the Angels in 2011-2013. The 2014 DBacks ere dreadful, especially after Goldschmidt went down. So I'm calling that a mulligan. Once he went to Seattle, he hit very well later in the year which is not like his typical yearly timeline. So there is some hope he can continue to hit well with the Orioles.

From June 4th to August 5th, Trumbo hit three home runs last season for Seattle and hit three in September with a strong August in between. The last three years especially are important since they are the most recent

sample sizes. The D'Backs being awful isn't an excuse for Trumbo to stop producing, though. It is still a valid year and even last season, he had a two month long power outage in the middle of the season and hit only

three all of September. Home runs are the main appeal for a player like him. We will see what he does this season, but I am still of the opinion that a QO and a draft pick is the way to go. We have enough depth both

on our major league bench and in the minors if necessary to fill the space he leaves. The M's still didn't feel Trumbo was worth keeping around and practically gave him to us for nothing.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From June 4th to August 5th, Trumbo hit three home runs last season for Seattle and hit three in September with a strong August in between. The last three years especially are important since they are the most recent

sample sizes. The D'Backs being awful isn't an excuse for Trumbo to stop producing, though. It is still a valid year and even last season, he had a two month long power outage in the middle of the season and hit only

three all of September. Home runs are the main appeal for a player like him. We will see what he does this season, but I am still of the opinion that a QO and a draft pick is the way to go. We have enough depth both

on our major league bench and in the minors if necessary to fill the space he leaves. The M's still didn't feel Trumbo was worth keeping around and practically gave him to us for nothing.

I actually agree, but in large part because I think he will demand too much money with the crappy FA market that is out there this year.

There's definitely some guys you have to re-sign/sign but not everyone. Look at our team. Most of our big money players contribute the least,

Hardy

Ubaldo

Gallardo

MW

Alvarez

Kim

Honestly I'm too happy as a fan to add up that sum of contracts. haha. Since PED's are out of the game(somewhat) FA contracts just aren't worth it. You don't see guys getting better/staying better into their 30's anymore. That's why the Yankees suck now. They used to be able to go out and have a proven FA at every starting spot, and then those players were sure bets to put up their typical numbers. Now without PED's, they aren't guaranteed those big seasons they had in the past pre-FA.

It looks to me like the only things worth spending money on is Power and TOR pitching. Spend the huge money on great players, but spending money on mid level FA's doesn't seem to work out. Maybe Trumbo loves it here and would comeback for 4/52. But I think it might end up being the 5/70+ that Alex Gordon was asking for.

Exactly....this is the biggest reason the Royals, Pirates and Orioles are now competing. You can't sign an all-star 31 year old as a free agent, and get all-star production for 5-7 more years!

It's not about how good Trumbo might be this year it's about how we don't need to spend our resources on 1B/DH we have plenty of solutions there. If we didn't have CD at 1B it would be a different story.

Is there a difference between talent ... Until he proves otherwise Walker is a AAA player. Mancini is not even playing the outfield so he's probably a trade chip

Is there a difference between talent ... Until he proves otherwise Walker is a AAA player. Mancini is not even playing the outfield so he's probably a trade chip
How much do you want to spend on a DH? A Pedro Reimold platoon would be cheaper and probably about as effective. Trumbo shouldn't be playing the OF either.

Good point. Jimmy Paredes was OPS'ing 1.060 at this point last year, to put it in perspective.

Then the league figured out that they didn't have to throw him strikes. I remember Palmer saying last year that he told Paredes how good he could be if he was more disciplined. I was the biggest Jimmy P fan until he participated in the extra inning loss vs the twins last year.

But two reasons why Trumbo can have a career year:

1. Hitting in a stacked lineup.

2. Playing in OPACY. Not playing in the big ballparks of the AL West and NL West. I think NL pitching is overrated but the big ballparks of the NL West neutralizes that argument.

Trumbo has limited value to the O's beyond this year b/c you can't have him in RF long term. Brandon Belt's extension bought out 2 arb year but is essentially 4 years $64 million ($16 mil aav) from age 30-33.

Trumbo's going to get his best offer from a team that needs a 1b. O's won't match it.

Then the league figured out that they didn't have to throw him strikes. I remember Palmer saying last year that he told Paredes how good he could be if he was more disciplined. I was the biggest Jimmy P fan until he participated in the extra inning loss vs the twins last year.

But two reasons why Trumbo can have a career year:

1. Hitting in a stacked lineup.

2. Playing in OPACY. Not playing in the big ballparks of the AL West and NL West. I think NL pitching is overrated but the big ballparks of the NL West neutralizes that argument.

Last year Mark Trumbo had 132 strikeouts and 36 walks. That's better than Jimmy Paredes in the same way that Chris Davis is a better third baseman than Mark Reynolds.

Last year Mark Trumbo had 132 strikeouts and 36 walks. That's better than Jimmy Paredes in the same way that Chris Davis is a better third baseman than Mark Reynolds.

Just looking at his monthly splits last year, he was ice cold awful in June, the month he was traded to Seattle. His OPS in June was .348. Every other month he was near or well above .800.

Much more consistent than Paredes who essentially fell off a cliff, and OPS'd .534 in July, .364 in August and .703 in Sept/Oct in limited ABs after he lost his job. Paredes is also a guy with no track record who might just be a flash in the pan.

That said, I hope he has a career year this season and makes himself alot of money...from a team other than the Orioles.

Those are totally different situations. Davis was under contract at below market rates for many years in his mid-20s, Reynolds was finishing up his arb years. I certainly never suggested dumping Davis for Reynolds. If anything the appropriate comp is Trumbo to Reynolds, who would have ridiculous hot streaks but was an awful defender and has continued to be a well-below-average performer into his 30s as his track record suggested.

Ah... But Mark Reynolds in Baltimore! That was a thing of beauty!

Archived