2016 MLB Draft

I'd be a fan of Lauer if that ends up being the pick. Good 4-pitch mix that he controls well. Dominated the cape last summer and led the league in strikeouts. Led the country in ERA this Spring and threw a no-hitter in the MAC championship. Profiles as a mid to back end guy but reasonable chance of reaching that ceiling quickly

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Logan Shore – RHP – Florida

Logan Shore is the leader of a very strong Florida Gators pitching staff which is considered best in the country. Although Gators LHP AJ Puk is expected to be the number 1 overall pick in the upcoming draft, Shore is actually the number 1 pitcher in the rotation. Shore has had an outstanding career at Florida after he decided to go there instead of signing with the Minnesota Twins out of high school in 2013.

Shore had a very good career at Florida posting a 29-10 record and 2.46 ERA in 50 career starts. ...

His fastball only ranges from 89-92 MPH but he his slider sweeps across the plate which causes much deception for hitters. Shore is also a very polished pitcher and is not expected to spend much time in the minors. If drafted by the Orioles he could be pitching of the Orioles as early as 2017. Shore has averaged exactly 6 innings per start in college which is something the Orioles are looking for in a pitcher.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2643889-2016-mlb-mock-draft-bleacher-reports-final-round-1-picks/page/30

Nolan Jones – SS – Holy Ghost Prep (PA)

18 year old shortstop Nolan Jones is a very intriguing left handed-hitting prospect who displays raw power, excellent arm strength, and lighting fast speed. Jones, who is 6 foot 4 inches tall, was a two sport athlete in high school playing both baseball and hockey. ...

During this showcase he also displayed his athleticism where he pitched one inning...

Many scouts around the league have said that Jones has the power to be a 20 home run player... During his junior year of high school Jones played in the WWBA World Championship Tournament for the Team Elite Prime where he was named to the All-Tournament Team.

In his senior season of high school Jones played in 19 games hitting an astonishing .636 (26-44)... Jones is committed to play baseball at the University of Virginia but his signability at the moment is unknown.

That kid Trout worked out OK.

Of course there are exceptions, but no, I don't think it was anything else with Billy Rowell.

I think the climate up here has a double-whammy effect in impeding high school hitters. For 1, the climate prevents them from playing anywhere near as much live outdoor baseball as in FL, TX, CA, etc. Then the doubling effect comes because the pitchers they face also don't get as much development time, so the batters are 'stunted' in the time that they are playing by playing against somewhat inferior pitching.

JMHO.

Of course there are exceptions, but no, I don't think it was anything else with Billy Rowell.

I think the climate up here has a double-whammy effect in impeding high school hitters. For 1, the climate prevents them from playing anywhere near as much live outdoor baseball as in FL, TX, CA, etc. Then the doubling effect comes because the pitchers they face also don't get as much development time, so the batters are 'stunted' in the time that they are playing by playing against somewhat inferior pitching.

JMHO.

Billy used to sleep in his truck.

I think a lot of it was Billy.

Obviously you have less data to go on but I see no reason to dismiss them out of hand.

Billy used to sleep in his truck.

I think a lot of it was Billy.

Obviously you have less data to go on but I see no reason to dismiss them out of hand.

I think Billy was homeless at the time. I know they kicked him out of sleeping in the clubhouse.

I think Billy was homeless at the time. I know they kicked him out of sleeping in the clubhouse.

If you get a 2.1M signing bonus and a few years later can't afford to rent an apartment and none of your teammates will take you in...

Rowell, selected by the Baltimore Orioles with the ninth pick in the 2006 draft, was suspended after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a "drug of abuse," Major League Baseball announced.

Fwiw..think I would go Reynolds here.

I have been calling for Reynolds all year. I have seen a lot of him and love his baseball instinct. He seems like a Buck guy too. He don't have the jaw dropping physical skills but does everything average or above average.

Please, no toolsy guys (Reed) with suspect bat and little power. Let's go high upside with Will Benson.

I think they hope for Taylor Trammell being there, and if he's not, they go with the other HS OFer - Benson. Benson is huge, but Trammell sounds like the better all-around prospect. But let me be clear, I know nothing other than reading a few mock drafts with explanations.

Please, no toolsy guys (Reed) with suspect bat and little power. Let's go high upside with Will Benson.

I agree. Reed has had 3 years in college to fully develop his hit/power tools and hasn't done it. Benson has tremendous upside and as a HS kid the time to develop. That being said, I wouldn't mind taking Reed if he were still around in the 2nd round; but I just don't think he's worth a 1st round pick.

Archived