2016 MLB Draft

Watching the MASN broadcast now, and it was interesting to hear Dan talk about the draft. Not that it really was surprising given his history, but he was really downplaying the importance of the draft. He said anything outside the first 10 picks is a "crapshoot" and it's an easy decision to give up draft picks to try to improve the major league team. I was also really surprised, and impressed, that Bordick asked Dan about the reasoning behind giving up a 2nd round pick in the Matusz trade. Dan explained that the Braves are out of it and want extra picks, but they also wanted the increased pool money. Interestingly enough, Dan didn't really explain why we gave up the 2nd round pick in that trade.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching the MASN broadcast now, and it was interesting to hear Dan talk about the draft. Not that it really was surprising given his history, but he was really downplaying the importance of the draft. He said anything outside the first 10 picks is a "crapshoot" and it's an easy decision to give up draft picks to try to improve the major league team. I was also really surprised, and impressed, that Bordick asked Dan about the reasoning behind giving up a 2nd round pick in the Matusz trade. Dan explained that the Braves are out of it and want extra picks, but they also wanted the increased pool money. Interestingly enough, Dan didn't really explain why we gave up the 2nd round pick in that trade.

The pool money is probably valued more highly than the pick by most teams.

As for Dan, it is pretty clear that he doesn't have much in the way of concerns about what the team looks like after he is out the door.

The pool money is probably valued more highly than the pick by most teams.

As for Dan, it is pretty clear that he doesn't have much in the way of concerns about what the team looks like after he is out the door.

I agree with you. But he really could do both if he wanted: trade prospects and/or draft picks for impact major leaguers, but use other means (international free agents) to restock the farm system. It would also help if he stopped selling our 2nd round comp picks...

I don't mind giving up first round picks to sign impact free agents; it's just I have a problem giving up 1st round picks for the likes of Jimenez and Gallardo...

Draft Special on MLBNetwork now.

They seemed really high on Will Benson a high school outfielder. I am still hoping for Reynolds a college bat but I am intrigued my Benson looking into him today. I am hoping for an outfield player or pitcher. We don't have much outfield depth.

MLB had us taking him in their latest mock draft.

Just watched video of Buddy Reed and Will Benson. I like Benson. I would be happy with that pick. HS bat with high upside and power potential.

Just watched one of Benson taking batting practice. The ball sure flies off his bat.

Not sure why they have Harold Reynolds on with 2 draft experts. He's pretending he knows what he's talking about. Don't think Nolan Jones will be there at 27 but the type of pick I would like.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What I'm saying is; ya gotta fight to get the smart people on the air. <br>There are studies:mass audience reacts to certitude, not analysis..</p>— Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny) <a href="

">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not going to pretend to know if this guy is going to be good or not, but the two mocks I've seen have him at 30 and 39.

That sounds about right and I wouldn't rule out him sliding further than that. Only hit .255 this spring. Didn't take that step forward with the bat scouts were hoping to see after his strong performance with the USA National team last summer.

Joey Wentz, LHP, Shawnee Mission (Kan.) H.S.

Wentz is not a total unknown: he was on the showcase circuit last summer, but playing as a power-hitting first baseman due to arm fatigue. He was a solid enough prospect as a hitter, showing a nice power stroke from the left side, but with some contact problems that needed to be ironed out. He was viewed as a potential middle-round pick, say fifth round territory, but likely to honor his commitment to the University of Virginia without an overlslot bonus.

All that has changed this spring.

A winter strengthening program and physical maturity have not only restored his arm strength but have boosted it: his previous 85-88 MPH fastball is now up to 92-94 MPH with reported peaks at 95. The fastball has life to go with the velocity. Both his curveball and change-up are advanced for a cold-weather high school pitcher. His frame is athletic and projectable so more velocity may come, and he already throws strikes with relatively low-effort mechanics. He also draws praise for his intelligence and confident nature.

Barring a late injury or ridiculous bonus demands, Wentz will not get to Virginia. He is now viewed as a mid-first round pick.

Nolan Jones, 3B PA HS Holy Ghost

HEIGHT/WEIGHT6'4"/200

BATS Left

THROWS Right

HOME Bensalem, PA

Scouting Report

At 6-foot-4 and 185 lbs., most expect Jones to outgrow shortstop and move to either second or third base down the line. His bat will play anywhere, however. The left-handed hitter has a drool worthy offensive skill set. Jones has very strong hands and good raw power, yet his swing is simple and controlled, allowing him to barrel up the ball consistently. He knows the strike zone and looks very much like a player with the potential to hit for a high average with power and on-base ability down the line. The kid can even run a little. Defensively, Jones has a strong arm — he’s been clocked at 88-91 mph off the mound — and good hands, so third base won’t be an issue if that’s where he ends up.

Cal Quantrill, RHP, Stanford

The son of former major league pitcher Paul Quantrill, Cal stood out for his bloodlines and pitchability as an Ontario high school player. Viewed as a potential third round pick, he fell to the 26th round of the 2013 draft, where he was selected by the New York Yankees, due to his strong commitment to Stanford University. His freshman season was a success: 2.68 ERA in 111 innings, 98/34 K/BB, punctuated by an impressive summer run through the Coastal Plains League (1.59 ERA, 33/9 K/BB in 23 frames).

Alas, Quantrill blew out his elbow in the spring of 2015, had Tommy John surgery, and has yet to retake the mound in official action. Despite the lack of innings and recent looks, he still has buzz as an early pick based on his bloodlines and past reputation.

Listed at 6-3, 185, Quantrill was born February 10, 1995. When healthy he features a low-90s fastball, an above-average change-up, and solid-average sliders and curves. He has the command, pitchability, and mound presence of a major league starter, not surprising given his background, and projected well as a number three starter before the injury. His makeup is extremely well-regarded.

Ha! I wouldn't draft anyone with the idea of filling specific holes on a team or being someone's replacement. Not saying you are. I'd be okay with Jones as the pick but he might be gone before our turn.

Me too, and not even as an infield ultimately.

Archived