A Role for Kim

Filmstudy

All those bashing Buck about Kim need to consider the fact that Buck might be looking out for him, knowing his capabilities. Has it occurred to anyone but me that Buck started him against Latos, a soft throwing rightie who was throwing mid 80's? This is another aspect of the game that the advanced metrics fail to measure. If I was buck, I would just start him against Sale and end it with the 0-5. But, I'm an evil person and Buck isn't. So, he is trying his best to make him part of the team all the while, knowing his limitations.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest antiorioles

When Kim was a high school player, he was regarded as a gifted hitter, and won a prestigious award for a hitter.

However, he failed to be drafted because he looked "slow and dumb" defensively.

He got a chance to prove himself at KBO level, and he proved that he is at least a solid defender if not great.

What is more reliable, impression or stats ?

During ST, O's coaching staffs made a firm conclusion that Kim couldn't cope with major league pitching.

Kim has proved them wrong so far.

They were also certain that Kim was so terrible defensively that he had better be shipped back to Korea.

Is this a reliable evaluation? What if they were wrong not only in hitting but also defense?

If his defense is really that terrible, why hasn't he made terrible mistakes yet in his limited appearances?

If his defense is that terrible, why does defensive stats show a different story?

Of course, Buck knows best, you guys believe only what you saw when you saw nothing, blah blah blah.

And now what do you have? The WORST LF in the entire league who miraculously manages to play everyday.

One word summary of this whole story: PREJUDICE

My one word summary of this organization: JOKE

My advice to all Asian players: DON'T GO THERE.

All those bashing Buck about Kim need to consider the fact that Buck might be looking out for him, knowing his capabilities. Has it occurred to anyone but me that Buck started him against Latos, a soft throwing rightie who was throwing mid 80's? This is another aspect of the game that the advanced metrics fail to measure. If I was buck, I would just start him against Sale and end it with the 0-5. But, I'm an evil person and Buck isn't. So, he is trying his best to make him part of the team all the while, knowing his limitations.

Seriously, what is with you dude. Do you intentionally ignore Kim's actual ML hitting statistics in order to continue to push your narrative that Kim can't hit a ML fastball? You intentionally cherry pick one pitcher he's faced to push your tired narrative? Are you aware that 2 of his 9 hits to date were hard hit balls to the outfield off 93mph fastballs (BTW -most of Sale's fastballs were around 93MPH) ? Somehow I don't think facts even matter to you - you have an axe to grind with Kim for some other reason than his actual ML performance and quite frankly, it's getting old. By your own admission, you actually want him to fail.

I don't see why Kim is constantly being compared to Rickard. I think he should see more time at DH. The O's have plenty of guys who can hit HR, so I'm not sure why Alvarez was even signed. They continue to lack guys who can consistently get on base. Probably the only 2 dependable OBP guys are Machado and Davis and maybe Trumbo (not expecting him to continue hitting .350). Obviously Kim won't hit .600, but I think he could hit .300 and draw a fair number of walks. Its not a stretch to believe he's capable of .350 OBP.

I haven't seen enough of Kim playing the OF, but he can't be Delmon Young bad? Opinions?

One word summary of this whole story: PREJUDICE

My one word summary of this organization: JOKE

My advice to all Asian players: DON'T GO THERE.

I have been very hard on Buck for how he has handled this.

There is no reason at all to try and interject a racial component to any of this.

Koji loved Baltimore, Chen only had one issue in four seasons.

I have been very hard on Buck for how he has handled this.

There is no reason at all to try and interject a racial component to any of this.

Koji loved Baltimore, Chen only had one issue in four seasons.

Of course with that poster's name, doesn't take much to figure out their agenda.

Because Rickard is getting a full audition before they write him off to the bench or worse. Otherwise, we need to start Trumbo, Jones, and Alvarez everyday. Reimold also needs playing time against lefties. There just aren't enough at bats for everyone.

I think Rickard might be pressing a few days off might benefit him.

I think Rickard might be pressing a few days off might benefit him.

Personally, I am more worried about getting AJ on track.

Roch had a good quote from Buck on Rickard and his slump:

?I don?t think anybody expected Joey to hit .500, but he?s playing with the same effort, the same outfield defense, running the bases,? said manager Buck Showalter.

?What I?m looking for is when he starts swinging out of the strike zone a lot. I like the fact that he?s deep in a lot of counts. He makes contributions to the rest of our eight guys in the batting order by his at-bat. He makes the guy throw four, five, six pitches, makes him show a lot of things, not make it be an easy at-bat. And as long as he stays selective and doesn?t get out of that, he?ll get back to being a little more productive offensively.?

They created the account specifically to complain about Kim so I don't have an issue with the username.

I don't think they ever claimed to be an O's fan.

With that name and then the playing of the race card, sorry, that just a troll for stirring up the pot.

Of course, IMO.

Guest antiorioles
He already threatened us if we come to Korea. I'll watch his posts closely.

You can kick me out anytime you want to, just as Orioles have tried to kick Kim out.

Yes, I am very angry because Kim is being insulted and humiliated for no reason.

I learned from my kindergarten that there are some things that a human being shouldn't do to another human being.

It is almost like a human right issue.

What has Kim done wrong so far? What kind of harm has he caused to the team?

When it matters, he delivers, but all he gets is boos, abuses, insults, and humiliation.

He is a beloved player here in Korea, and we have every reason to believe that he deserves more respect.

If you can't give him a minimum of fair chance and respect, why don't you just eat the contract and release him?

I've never seen such a horrible backstabbing and double talk from an established sports club.

Just for your reference, look at how Pirates have treated Kang. Look at how Twins are doing best to help Park Byung Ho. And look at how Mariners respect Lee Dae Ho.

And Look at how Orioles have treated Kim. They are all being paid big dividends for their investment.

It is just a shame that Orioles can't do the same.

While I would agree that the Orioles haven't handled the situation well, mostly from the spring training timeframe, you are being over the top with some of this stuff. It's about baseball. It has nothing to do with being Korean. You are trying to make it some human rights or racial issue. It's a baseball issue.

I agree, and it sure looks like he gets along with his teammates in the dugout and before the game.

You can kick me out anytime you want to, just as Orioles have tried to kick Kim out.

Yes, I am very angry because Kim is being insulted and humiliated for no reason.

I learned from my kindergarten that there are some things that a human being shouldn't do to another human being.

It is almost like a human right issue.

What has Kim done wrong so far? What kind of harm has he caused to the team?

When it matters, he delivers, but all he gets is boos, abuses, insults, and humiliation.

He is a beloved player here in Korea, and we have every reason to believe that he deserves more respect.

If you can't give him a minimum of fair chance and respect, why don't you just eat the contract and release him?

I've never seen such a horrible backstabbing and double talk from an established sports club.

Just for your reference, look at how Pirates have treated Kang. Look at how Twins are doing best to help Park Byung Ho. And look at how Mariners respect Lee Dae Ho.

And Look at how Orioles have treated Kim. They are all being paid big dividends for their investment.

It is just a shame that Orioles can't do the same.

I am right there with thinking that this has been impossibly bungled by the O's.

And there is no evidence that race is a factor.

Archived