A Role for Kim

Filmstudy

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Buck didn't give much weight to spring training stats?

I doubt stats were the only thing that helped with the decision. Stats may not matter much in spring training but I'm sure there was plenty of personal experience and input from other scouts that led to Buck and the organization feeling that Kim wasn't ready for the show. Whether he was or not; he didn't prove it otherwise and was given a pretty good opportunity against ST level talent. The Orioles certainly would have avoided the headache and embarrassment of the whole Kim circus if they really felt he was ready. I doubt it was an easy decision for them to make.

I doubt stats were the only thing that helped with the decision. Stats may not matter much in spring training but I'm sure there was plenty of personal experience and input from other scouts that led to Buck and the organization feeling that Kim wasn't ready for the show. Whether he was or not; he didn't prove it otherwise. The Orioles certainly would have avoided the headache and embarrassment of the whole Kim circus if they really felt he was ready. I doubt it was an easy decision for them to make.

If it was that hard for them why did they make it with over a week to go in camp?

Seems to me it was an easy decision for Buck to make.

If it was that hard for them why did they make it with over a week to go in camp?

Seems to me it was an easy decision for Buck to make.

When they made the decision has nothing to do with ease. It was a decision that needed to be made and they did. They took a lot of flack for it too.

When they made the decision has nothing to do with ease. It was a decision that needed to be made and they did. They took a lot of flack for it too.

Not true, if it was a hard decision they would have used all the time possible to reach it.

The situation as I see it:

Kim isn't creating value on the bench

There isn't an opportunity to put him in the lineup without the team suffering defensively

He's not valuable as a baserunner relative to Reimold or Rickard

He can't be sent down without his consent

He has some demonstrated value as a hitter

Rickard isn't hitting much, particularly against RHP, but still has value on defense and on the bases

How about this:

Versus RHP, Kim bats leadoff in LF

He bats once and is immediately removed for a runner

He plays at most 1 inning in the field (if the game is at home)

That would get Kim some much needed at bats, improve the prospects for first inning runs scored, effectively move Rickard down to the 9 spot where he will have a lower percentage of his ABs vs. RHP. The Orioles certainly aren't making use of Kim on the bench as is, so this seems like a reasonable solution.

Kim has been very effective in his current role. There is no problem here.

Not true, if it was a hard decision they would have used all the time possible to reach it.

That's just silly. Kasich and Cruz just pulled out of their presidential races very early. Those were easy decisions for them too, by your logic.

Not every difficult decision needs to be last minute.

That's just silly. Kasich and Cruz just pulled out of their presidential races very early. Those were easy decisions for them too, by your logic.

Not every difficult decision needs to be last minute.

You think Kasich pulled out early?

For a difficult decision you collect all the information you can.

When Trump won Indiana Kasich and Cruz had all the information they needed, it wasn't going to be a contested convention.

(Hopefully this is considered factual and not political.)

You think Kasich pulled out early?

Good catch. No.

Cruz did though.

But the point is that these decisions were made before the end of the campaign season. Sometimes decisions just need to be made, and waiting until the last minute or doing it early doesn't impact the difficulty of making them.

I would hope that this conversation isn't construed as a political endorsement and just an analogy that seems relevant to current events.

I was hoping we would use names of Wiggles or Teletubbies to make our analogies.

The situation as I see it:

Kim isn't creating value on the bench

There isn't an opportunity to put him in the lineup without the team suffering defensively

He's not valuable as a baserunner relative to Reimold or Rickard

He can't be sent down without his consent

He has some demonstrated value as a hitter

Rickard isn't hitting much, particularly against RHP, but still has value on defense and on the bases

How about this:

Versus RHP, Kim bats leadoff in LF

He bats once and is immediately removed for a runner

He plays at most 1 inning in the field (if the game is at home)

That would get Kim some much needed at bats, improve the prospects for first inning runs scored, effectively move Rickard down to the 9 spot where he will have a lower percentage of his ABs vs. RHP. The Orioles certainly aren't making use of Kim on the bench as is, so this seems like a reasonable solution.

Should Rickard continue to struggle (it IS early yet), why not bump them down in the lineup, have Kim bat 2 times, and there you'll have your late game defensive replacement.

So then one.

Current bench is: Reimold/Alvarez, 2nd catcher, useless Kim (which I'm saying is effectively 2)

New bench using my suggestion: Reimold/Alvarez, 2nd catcher (still 2), +1 platoon advantaged PA for Kim with 1 less platood disadvantaged for Rickard

Archived