PED Suspensions Coming

Sessh

Prohibition of PEDs in MLB and affiliate baseball better work. And should work. This is not wrestling, NFL, or MMA.

As long as there is demand, the black market will be there to supply. It is no different, really. There is money to be made and someone is going to make it.

The MFY want to get out of ARoid's contract. Someone in the clubhouse spikes his coffee whatever. MLB is selling the franchise? How could they even prove it happened. Maybe it was a wink, wink, nod. Especially with ARoid's history.

Please don't give them any ideas...A-Rod's slash line at the moment:.190/.288/.379/.667

I haven't read everyone's comments but Ill leave mine. I don't care how many tests they have, the ONLY true deterrent is in allowing the clubs to void a long term contract if a player tests positive(and confirmed with a second test). Dee Gordon likely used PED's last year and secured a 50 million dollar deal. He will lose about 1.2 million in missed salary this year. That means he will still get about 49 million. Anybody can see is it is worth the risk.Also, the team has a right to make a minimum deal to the returning player for a couple of seasons after that punishment.THAT would stop a lot of cheaters. Also, first positive test should last and entire season.

Do you think there is any chance that any owner would "spike" a player's supplies in an attempt to save $100,000,000 off a bad contract?

I don't think teams should get off Scott-free from financial repercussions because a player they probably suspected of using gets caught.

If anything I think the opposite, any monies owed to a suspended player should be donated to charity and should still count towards the team's cap number.

Do you think there is any chance that any owner would "spike" a player's supplies in an attempt to save $100,000,000 off a bad contract?

I don't think teams should get off Scott-free from financial repercussions because a player they probably suspected of using gets caught.

If anything I think the opposite, any monies owed to a suspended player should be donated to charity and should still count towards the team's cap number.

Exactly. Double the fine as far as I'm concerned. Only a fool wouldn't consider a PED suspension for any player when offering them a contract. Billionaires tend not to be fools.

I would be surprised if players found that to be reasonable. At that point, you'll be disrupting family life for players based on constant suspicion without a shred of proof to warrant it. I think that would be a deterrent to

being a baseball player at all. What if they have kids that wake up at 3AM and can't go back to sleep making the parents have to get up instead of getting up 4-5 hours later with the extra rest. I think disrupting life to

that extent is too far and will elicit push back. I wouldn't stand for being subject to that kind of invasion of my private life based on nothing but baseless suspicion. Ridiculous. I think a compromise is the way to go.

Prohibition doesn't work.

I don't support prohibition when it comes to recreational drugs. But performance enhancing drugs are entirely a different matter, because they give you a competitive edge in the short run, while harming your health in the long run.

Going laissez-faire on PEDs would give players the awful choice of juicing to stay competitive at the expense of long-term health, or staying clean and falling behind players who are juicing.

In the end, baseball would wind up in a prisoner's dilemma equilibrium, where everyone is juicing, nobody gets ahead of everyone else, and everyone is endangering his health.

If there are PEDs that have no adverse health consequences, then baseball should allow them. But anything that is harmful in the long run needs to be banned and rigorously tested.

• Upvote 1

First and foremost is that this is a Baseball Forum not the NFL Forum.

I'm not saying on this forum, but nation wide. The media doesn't villify the NFL players or even really talk about PED use amongst the players. Yet they can't talk about baseball for ten minutes without bringing up some of that nature.

Can someone explain to me why using peds in baseball is this unforgivable sin when no one gives the slightest of damns when NFL players get busted?

It's related to the fact that 60 and 714 were sacred, 61 and 755 and 762 are meh, and nobody has the slightest idea how many of anything Sammy Baugh ever did back a million years ago.

If we're all going to sit around and write a bad TV script how about this for a plot twist:

The trainer who's thrown under the bus decides to plea bargain and give detailed testimony, supported by evidence (he's anticipated this possibility, you see) in return for immunity.

That's crazy talk! That would NEVER happen!! Get real!!

?

I don't support prohibition when it comes to recreational drugs. But performance enhancing drugs are entirely a different matter, because they give you a competitive edge in the short run, while harming your health in the long run.

Going laissez-faire on PEDs would give players the awful choice of juicing to stay competitive at the expense of long-term health, or staying clean and falling behind players who are juicing.

In the end, baseball would wind up in a prisoner's dilemma equilibrium, where everyone is juicing, nobody gets ahead of everyone else, and everyone is endangering his health.

If there are PEDs that have no adverse health consequences, then baseball should allow them. But anything that is harmful in the long run needs to be banned and rigorously tested.

You do realize that baseball has been like this for a very, very long time right? Personally, I think personal accountability and responsibility is becoming a lost art. If someone wants to smoke cigarettes for example, they

are responsible if they get cancer and they knew the risks beforehand and did it anyway. It's really the same with PED's to me. It's their bodies. If they want to do things that may harm their bodies, they have to deal

with that. I just don't like this whole idea that we need to protect people from themselves. These are adults that made a decision and they will have to deal with whatever consequences that decision brings. It's not like

they didn't know the risks beforehand.

You do realize that baseball has been like this for a very, very long time right? Personally, I think personal accountability and responsibility is becoming a lost art. If someone wants to smoke cigarettes for example, they

are responsible if they get cancer and they knew the risks beforehand and did it anyway. It's really the same with PED's to me. It's their bodies. If they want to do things that may harm their bodies, they have to deal

with that. I just don't like this whole idea that we need to protect people from themselves. These are adults that made a decision and they will have to deal with whatever consequences that decision brings. It's not like

they didn't know the risks beforehand.

I don't care about the effects of PEDS on these players health. Feel free to 'roid up every day. Just not in my elite club of 700 of the best at the sport without them. I think one strike is half a strike too many. Heck feel free to body modify and amputate for fun if that is your bag. But not in baseball.

I don't care about the effects of PEDS on these players health. Feel free to 'roid up every day. Just not in my elite club of 700 of the best at the sport without them. I think one strike is half a strike too many. Heck feel free to body modify and amputate for fun if that is your bag. But not in baseball.

It doesn't matter to you that many of those 700 used PEDs? Mantle, Aaron, Mays and the list goes on? Good article here about amphetamine and Bud Selig admitting amphetamines had been in baseball for seven or eight decades. Your "700 best" contain many, many players who used PEDs and set many, many records with their assistance. That's your elite club and it's the same as the players in the game since the 80's who have taken most of the blame for things that had been in the game before they were born.