Is this Rickard's slump or just emerging to ...?

BirdAttack

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not trying to pile on and it is still a SSS, but didn't he have three good plays yesterday? I was in and out of the car listening, but thought I heard that in the recap, but really don't know since I did not see it.

As for the homer, I just watched the video and it was short, but he almost hit it one handed, looks to me like he dropped the top hand off early in the swing. Just my two cents.

He did have several good plays defensively yesterday which I mentioned in my initial response to the inquiry about his home run. The ball was wind blown and barely made it out and yet somehow, people seem to think

that means it shouldn't be counted as a home run and other ridiculous comments. Wind assisted home runs happen all the time and it was even specified during the telecast in the video I posted that the wind was blowing

out during this play. I am not anti-Rickard as much as some here are pro-Rickard. The home run was wind blown and it's no less of a home run than Machado's grand slam was. I don't understand why this needs to

be explained or specified. :)

So you agree, then, that Rickard wasn't the only one playing with said wind as a potential benefit?

Of course. Every time a pop up was hit, the infielders were scrambling around trying to keep up with the movement of the ball. The wind was a factor for the whole game for everyone. You asked for commentary about

the home run and I tried to offer that as accurately as possible with the video evidence as well. I'm not sure why everyone is making such a big deal about it.

He did have several good plays defensively yesterday which I mentioned in my initial response to the inquiry about his home run. The ball was wind blown and barely made it out and yet somehow, people seem to think

that means it shouldn't be counted as a home run and other ridiculous comments. Wind assisted home runs happen all the time and it was even specified during the telecast in the video I posted that the wind was blowing

out during this play. I am not anti-Rickard as much as some here are pro-Rickard. The home run was wind blown and it's no less of a home run than Machado's grand slam was. I don't understand why this needs to

I miss read your comment of one good game of play as one good play, my bad. As for the HR, all I was saying it being wind aided should be negated by his almost one handed swing.

Does he look more comfortable in CF that RF, or am I making a false assumption from a SSS?

Dexter Fowler he ain't, but he's solid.

Not Dexter Fowler of 2016 so far...and not a switch hitter, but Dexter Fowler he could be actually, right? .750-.775 ops where Fowler was the previous three seasons. I would be happy with that for a rule V pick up.

I miss read your comment of one good game of play as one good play, my bad. As for the HR, all I was saying it being wind aided should be negated by his almost one handed swing.

Fair enough. I looked at it again and don't see where he one handed it. If he's one handing a ball in that location, something is really wrong. Looked like a normal swing to me.

Fair enough. I looked at it again and don't see where he one handed it. If he's one handing a ball in that location, something is really wrong. Looked like a normal swing to me.

Sorry, should have stuck with what I originally said, not one-handed, but lets the top hand off early, doesn't drive all the way through the swing. Really picking nits though. Regardless, I hope has more games like he did yesterday!

Sorry, should have stuck with what I originally said, not one-handed, but lets the top hand off early, doesn't drive all the way through the swing. Really picking nits though. Regardless, I hope has more games like he did yesterday!

If he's doing that, he really needs to work on his mechanics. It looked to me like a nice, quick swing on a pitch middle-in that he got under just a little bit, but got just enough of it aided by the wind to get it over the

fence. He will surely get many more chances to build on yesterday's game, so we shall see what he does with them.

It's not anti-Rickard. The wind was a factor all day long and it was even said while the ball was in the air that the wind was blowing out. I also mentioned his defense, so I'm not sure how anything I said was "anti-Rickard"

unless Thorne is also anti-Rickard? I find it amusing that one game of good play (which it was) somehow completely erases all the bad throws, bad dives and baserunning blunders up to that point? They all still happened

and at this point still tip the scales far more than this one game. It's not like Joey hasn't made diving catches before, but he also dove for two or three balls that he had zero chance at as well before this game. It will

take more than one good game to erase all that. He's had good games, he's just had more bad ones.

I was not a wind blown homer. It was the short one of the day. His good games are recent. I will look for bad ones in the future. So far, he is evidencing the best tools in total against the majority of pitchers the team faces of the three players that are going to divide their time in the position.

The metrics I've seen are about 1500 innings shy of what's necessary to make any firm conclusions.

I am pretty sure, that Rickard could have close to a MVP year, and some pundits will be still be moaning and groaning about the weak hitting, ill fielding COF rule V dude.

There is no need to balance the pro Rickard with a balance of against Rickard, He just happened to be on the strong side of a platoon.

The metrics I've seen are about 1500 innings shy of what's necessary to make any firm conclusions.

Yes, that goes without saying at this point right?

Do we really need to add a disclaimer any time we mention defensive metrics that don't have a full two seasons at each position referenced?

Did you think that I thought a month's worth of games spread over three positions was providing compelling data?

Archived