How are the rule 5 guys doing?

sportsfan8703

This. I dislike our front office in their choices for rule five guys. We have no luck with them. Either get a real scout or stop picking these types of players.

And I disagree with you about Ryan Flahetry. He has no business on a MLB roster. And I actually meet him and like him.

It is not as if other teams have huge level of success with these guys. They are unprotected for a reason. It is pretty unlikely that the O's, or any other team, will have a better read on these guys than the team that has them in their system.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This. I dislike our front office in their choices for rule five guys. We have no luck with them. Either get a real scout or stop picking these types of players.

And I disagree with you about Ryan Flahetry. He has no business on a MLB roster. And I actually meet him and like him.

This is a joke right? "Get a real scout?"

It is not as if other teams have huge level of success with these guys. They are unprotected for a reason. It is pretty unlikely that the O's, or any other team, will have a better read on these guys than the team that has them in their system.

There has been 1 rule 5 HOF and several darn good rule 5 picks in the MLB.

So it does happen.

I don't think it is abysmal, I would just rather sign guys like Janish.

You might not, but you have to agree that some posters here do not believe in the rule 5 system.

IMO, you can only have so many high price guys on the roster, that you have to fill in with the "diamonds in the rough" guys like McLouth, Reimold, Flaherty. Its not just the Orioles, but look at most other teams and their rosters.

Did we do a good job with the Rule V draft? By my accounts the O's stuck w/ Garcia over Verrett much to my chagrin. Garcia's numbers in the minors: 6.47 ERA, 5.6 BB/9, 3.7 SO/9, 13.5 H/9. Whatever is going on w/ Garcia, he looks terrible. I personally think it's the O's insistence that he start (those numbers are in 7 starts in the minors). In any other system, he'd be working out as a reliever, but since the O's don't have much depth in regards to SP, this is what we're stuck with.

Flaherty is an OK utility player. McFarland has a career ERA of nearly 4 in the majors with a FIP of 3.77. His WHIP is 1.497. Strikeout rate is incredibly poor. Now, if the O's only put him in games where runners aren't on and he's mostly in mop up, he might put up some positive numbers, but he has no business being near a starting rotation.

Finally Rickard I'm not entirely sold on. His defense needs a lot of work. Aside from his hot start, he's been below average with the bat. Now, he's young (and a rookie) so he can improve. But we're looking at something like a poor man's Brett Gardner (without the elite defense). But overall I like his approach at the plate, but he's been thrust into being a leadoff hitter because the O's don't have many better options.

Jason Garcia is experimenting with being a SP. It's a calculated move. I'm pretty sure Garcia could be in Norfolk's BP putting up numbers as good as Roe, Drake or Beato. The thing is, we have plenty of those guys. Can't blame the org. for trying to manufacture a big arm into a SP.

Mcfarland has 200 big league IP has a LH reliever with an ERA under 4. We all know how much that would cost on the open market.

I agree with you on Rickard. But he's better than our slew of 4A OF's. All who have had a chance in the MLB and haven't put up the numbers Rickard has. Flaherty has been a huge disappointment the last two weeks for me. I really thought this would be the year he would put it together. Especially after having a good ST and a red hot stint in Norfolk.

Jason Garcia is experimenting with being a SP. It's a calculated move. I'm pretty sure Garcia could be in Norfolk's BP putting up numbers as good as Roe, Drake or Beato. The thing is, we have plenty of those guys. Can't blame the org. for trying to manufacture a big arm into a SP.

Mcfarland has 200 big league IP has a LH reliever with an ERA under 4. We all know how much that would cost on the open market.

I agree with you on Rickard. But he's better than our slew of 4A OF's. All who have had a chance in the MLB and haven't put up the numbers Rickard has. Flaherty has been a huge disappointment the last two weeks for me. I really thought this would be the year he would put it together. Especially after having a good ST and a red hot stint in Norfolk.

Rickard has an OPS+ of 88, Reimold's career OPS+ is 105, how exactly is he putting up better numbers?

Archived