The story behind Natty Boh's disappearance from Camden Yards

Going Underground

I overheard one of the vendors at the Free State Pub tell a customer that Flying Dog was from Delaware. I kinda just stood there...confused.

Yea, dogfish is DE, flying dog is Frederick (I believe the Flying Dog ranch, for which its named, is in Colorado, though).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea. Not sure why I flipped that, ha.

Haha...no worries. It happens. I was pleased to see Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale at the Free State Pub earlier this season. That is one of my favorite beers.

As for Natty Boh, it is not one of my favorites, but I would grab one while watching a game on a hot day every once in a while. I know it is not brewed in Baltimore anymore, but sometimes drinking one while watching an O's game at OPACY just feels right. I am not too torn up about it not being available, but it will be missed a little.

Different beers are better for different things. Natty Boh is pretty good on a hot day. Many your microbrews are a bit heavy for hot days. I will miss the Boh and think it's stupid that something which was clearly popular is gone.

Yea, dogfish is DE, flying dog is Frederick (I believe the Flying Dog ranch, for which its named, is in Colorado, though).

Flying Dog is brewed in Frederick by happenstance. The microbrewery in Frederick went bankrupt and Flying Dog needed a facility to increase production. To me it's still a beer associated with the Rockies as it's original brew plant sat right next to Coors field.

Different beers are better for different things. Natty Boh is pretty good on a hot day. Many your microbrews are a bit heavy for hot days. I will miss the Boh and think it's stupid that something which was clearly popular is gone.

Try some of the saisons or farmhouse ales from craft brewers. Some of those can be pretty darn good on a hot day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Flying Dog is brewed in Frederick by happenstance. The microbrewery in Frederick went bankrupt and Flying Dog needed a facility to increase production. To me it's still a beer associated with the Rockies as it's original brew plant sat right next to Coors field.

Deadspin wrote a critical piece on flying dog, where the writer lambasted the bottle art as a Ralph steadman imitation, without realizing they were done by steadman himself. Original brewer was friends/neighbors with hunter s. Thompson if memory serves.

Natty boh has benefitted from a lot of revisionist history. Back in the day, it was swill. They actually made a beer called national premium which was pretty good

Natty Boh goes great with crabs though. Someone bought the recipe for National Premium, and is now brewing it. It's a bit pricey, and not like it was.

Natty Boh goes great with crabs though. Someone bought the recipe for National Premium, and is now brewing it. It's a bit pricey, and not like it was.

Drank a lot of National Premium at Memorial Stadium back in the day.

I've got to agree. I love supporting Baltimore institutions, but have no interest in a beer that markets itself as Baltimore is but has been brewed elsewhere since 1996. I'd rather they suppoer a beer like Camden Cream from Full Tilt. One it's actually a good tasting beer, and two it's actually brewed in Baltimore!

It's all about memories of a simpler time when Boh was brewed here and everybody's father and uncles worked at Sparrows Point or GM. Everybody drank Boh and Natty Premium, including Wild Bill. Memories, nostalgia ... That's what it's all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add me to those who say good riddance. Natty Boh makes tap water seem flavorful by comparison. And Michigan tap water drinkable.

It's not that bad... in that it's just like Coor's Light, Bud, Miller. American beer, it's yellow carbonated water that gets you drunk. If you don't spend the money you get swill.

That still gets you drunk.

Any jailbreak fans here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I wanted to like Howard County's first craft Brewer but I just haven't been crazy about most of the ones I tried.

Archived