Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

Yeah, brianod's take is pretty clear cut and straightforward if you ask me... It's the same as I've always said: we got it wrong. Either it was the change to Chicago with different pitching coaches and different development which unlocked him, or he was inevitably going to figure it out. Either way we got it wrong. And even more so because we traded him for nothing.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, you aren't listening. It DD's job to make the ultimate decision. It's Buck and his coaches jobs to do the fixing. If Buck says we can't fix him it is still DD's job to make the decision. He manages the 40 man roster. He than has to decide if someone else can fix him. Hire a consultant or get rid of him? Buck works for DD and not all of Bucks decisions have been correct. See Kim for example. DD has the ultimate responsibility because he is the manager of Buck and his coaches. I don't think this is rocket science.

DD does not have control over Buck's job. If you don't have that control nothing matters what you say to him. He can keep Jiminez on the roster like he did with Kim. And Buck can continue to start him. It is not like they can send Jiminez down to Norfolk and have some consultant come in to work with him.

Yeah, brianod's take is pretty clear cut and straightforward if you ask me... It's the same as I've always said: we got it wrong. Either it was the change to Chicago with different pitching coaches and different development which unlocked him, or he was inevitably going to figure it out. Either way we got it wrong. And even more so because we traded him for nothing.

We have Trumbo out of the Arrieta deal but what does this have to do with Jiminez?

Yeah one guy in 20 years. And Arrieta never had problems with his stuff. He had great stuff. He would just fall apart in the 4th or 5th inning.

One guy in 20 years isn't really saying anything because we've had little to no talent in the rotation outside Tillman and arrieta.

Bud Norris was completely broken in Baltimore and he's pitching much better now. Rich hill was an Orioles and now he's a solid starting pitcher. One guy? Uhh no.

Pitching coaches are fixing guys all around the league. I've seen little to no evidence our pitching coaches have fixed anyone.......ever.

We have Trumbo out of the Arrieta deal but what does this have to do with Jiminez?

The ultimate decision on all roster moves belongs to the GM. He manages the coaches, he makes the decisions. As a manager myself, I never hide behind the advice of people working for me. The Buck (no pun intended) stops with DD. If the coaches say someone can't be helped and is done and DD follows that advice, it isn't on the coaches if that guy succeeds elsewhere, it is on the decision maker. It is DD's responsibility and right to overrule the managers and coaches. If he doesn't, it's on him. I'm not asking DD to fix failing players but I am expecting him to make the final judgment on them and take responsibility for that decision.

One guy in 20 years isn't really saying anything because we've had little to no talent in the rotation outside Tillman and arrieta.

Bud Norris was completely broken in Baltimore and he's pitching much better now. Rich hill was an Orioles and now he's a solid starting pitcher. One guy? Uhh no.

Pitching coaches are fixing guys all around the league. I've seen little to no evidence our pitching coaches have fixed anyone.......ever.

Rich Hill was released 11 times by 7 teams after he pitched on the Orioles. You are really reaching.

The ultimate decision on all roster moves belongs to the GM. He manages the coaches, he makes the decisions. As a manager myself, I never hide behind the advice of people working for me. The Buck (no pun intended) stops with DD. If the coaches say someone can't help and is done and DD follows that advice, it isn't on the coaches if that guy succeeds elsewhere, it is on the decision maker. It is DD's responsibility and right to overrule the managers and coaches. If he doesn't, it's on him. I'm not asking DD to fix failing players but I am expecting him to make the final judgment on them and take responsibility for that decision.

As a manager are you allowed to fire people? DD cannot fire Buck. That is the reality. If you are a manager and you can't fire people under you in key positions. I don't know how you would be responsible for them. Anyway I don't care if Jiminez can be fixed or not. I think we should DFA him. If he succeeds somewhere else that is a chance I am willing to take.

Rich Hill was released 11 times by 7 teams after he pitched on the Orioles. You are really reaching.

There is a huge difference between a guy like Hill and a guy like Arietta. Hill is a journeyman who has found himself and will have a year or two of effectiveness. Arietta could have been sent to Norfolk, he was on an option year and instead he was shipped away. He became one of the best pitchers in baseball for three years running. I'll give a pass on Hill but, to give a pass on Arietta is wrong.

As a manager are you allowed to fire people? DD cannot fire Buck. That is the reality. If you are a manager and you can't fire people under you in key positions. I don't know how you would be responsible for them. Anyway I don't care if Jiminez can be fixed or not. I think we should DFA him. If he succeeds somewhere else that is a chance I am willing to take.

LOL, fire Buck? NO! I love Buck. I'm simply saying DD is Buck's manager and if he makes a decision based on Buck's opinion, it's still his decision to be held accountable for. Managers get paid to lead, not hide behind those that work for them. Maybe I'm just too old school...

What would you have done differently? Wright isn't much better. Once he made the decision to start Ubaldo he could not have removed him much earlier.

There are 300 different options before I go to ubaldo. Ubaldo = no chance.

If they miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 games, they are going to be extremely pissed that they kept sending ubaldo to the mound. In fact, it's pretty resilient of the team that they have come back in a couple of his starts.

There are 300 different options before I go to ubaldo. Ubaldo = no chance.

If they miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 games, they are going to be extremely pissed that they kept sending ubaldo to the mound. In fact, it's pretty resilient of the team that they have come back in a couple of his starts.

Seriously, name one better option going into the game. Ubaldo had just won his two previous starts to SEA so you cannot say "no chance". It was a terrible result but I don't think you can blame Buck for giving Ubaldo a shot.

Archived