Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse me if this has been hashed-out already, but:

Ubaldo has an option but given his length of service he would need to agree to it. Seems like they could work something out. He could go to AAA for x number of weeks (say five ;-) and then either be brought back up or released. Buck is not going to pitch him in a game, is he?

I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse me if this has been hashed-out already, but:

Ubaldo has an option but given his length of service he would need to agree to it. Seems like they could work something out. He could go to AAA for x number of weeks (say five ;-) and then either be brought back up or released. Buck is not going to pitch him in a game, is he?

What is the incentive for Ubaldo to agree?

He might feel that getting sent down would be more damaging.

To his self-respect or to his career? Or both?

I wasn't entirely serious about my s-r response. He gets paid either way and between now and 2018 there will be other opportunities for him to show that he can still pitch (though I'm not convinced he can given career trajectory) and get another contract.

To his self-respect or to his career? Or both?

I wasn't entirely serious about my s-r response. He gets paid either way and between now and 2018 there will be other opportunities for him to show that he can still pitch (though I'm not convinced he can given career trajectory) and get another contract.

I don't know if I would rather agree to get sent down or just force them to cut me then try and latch on somewhere else.

I think the team could be looking for a salary dump for salary dump type trade. If they can't complete one by the trade deadline you could see him DFA after that.

I've mentioned this before but an Ubaldo for Nolasco swap with the Twins could make some sense. Both are signed through next year for roughly the same amount. We would have to send a prospect Minnesota's way of they might take someone like Mike Wright.

I don't know if I would rather agree to get sent down or just force them to cut me then try and latch on somewhere else.

Fair enough. Personally, i'd be embarrassed just sitting there.

Would the Cubs be interested?:P

Wow. That would be something if they picked him up and he improved. That would make the Arietta and Matusz teeth-gnashing look like nothing.

I'm sure there is some team out there who would give him a try--wouldn't be much of their money.

I was thinking that if we sent him down we could keep him there all next year too. But we'd probably need his permission to option him next year too, if he even has an option. But that's thinking worst case scenario on his part.

Likely, we would option him now and he'd just stay in AAA or AA(closer to baltimore) until the milb season ends in September.

Or we just hide him in the pen the next 40ish days until rosters expand. Probably the most likely situation.

But why not just accept the assignment to the minors. We're desperate for pitching. Any good outings down there would get him right back up here.

I don't get why he wouldn't do the milb assignment. Players have done it before. He knows his mechanics are out of whack. Leads me to think there is clash of opinions as to what he needs to fix and he is forcing our hand to release him or have to hide him until September.

I was thinking that if we sent him down we could keep him there all next year too. But we'd probably need his permission to option him next year too, if he even has an option. But that's thinking worst case scenario on his part.

Likely, we would option him now and he'd just stay in AAA or AA(closer to baltimore) until the milb season ends in September.

Or we just hide him in the pen the next 40ish days until rosters expand. Probably the most likely situation.

But why not just accept the assignment to the minors. We're desperate for pitching. Any good outings down there would get him right back up here.

I don't get why he wouldn't do the milb assignment. Players have done it before. He knows his mechanics are out of whack. Leads me to think there is clash of opinions as to what he needs to fix and he is forcing our hand to release him or have to hide him until September.

I'm guessing the number of 10 year+ vets that have voluntarily accepted a minor league assignment isn't very large.

If it were me I'd probably tell them no, try and get them to cut me, get paid and try and latch on somewhere else. I might just take the rest of this season off and work on rebuilding my delivery and do a showcase in the offseason.

Archived