Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Net-WAR-by-draft-pick-pre-free-agency-650x483.jpg

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-net-value-of-draft-picks/

The Net WAR of a 76th draft pick is less than 1

You got two arms, either of which could best that.... and quicker... and you shed a stupid contract... and you opened a spot on the 25

What's not to like?

Tendering Matusz in the first place and then giving away a comp pick because of mismanagement?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like the move but respect Corn's concern. On a bigger scale, he is right. When DD leaves town, our farm system will not be very rosy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hasn't been rosy for a long time. I agree it warrants mentioning and it is a concern however I'm more concerned with the lack of scouting and developing. IMO, if you don't have those two it doesn't much matter what draft picks you don't have.

Having ones for #14 and #28 as well?

I'm with you on #14 as I didn't want Gallardo. #28 is kind of whatever and I sure as hell don't care about #76. As mentioned, this isn't the NFL. I think any draft pick out of the top 5 in MLB, maybe top 10 is akin to throwing darts at a board. Getting into the 20's, the draft becomes even more of a crap shoot. By the time you're at 76, it's hard to get any value at all.

I think when we're picking guys like DJ Stewart, a college bat with a dumbass batting stance and hasn't been able to hit his way out of a paper bag, we should be more concerned with who's making our picks rather than the amount. Yes, Stewart was picked in the 20's but he's proven to be so far off the mark it's not even funny.

So we're neglecting the farm by picking up two minor leaguers, eh?

It's k, I'm lighting some candles for Pick 76. Happy to help carry the casket if you give the eulogy.

What about Ubaldo first a 1st?

Gallardo for a 1st?

Trading Webb and a comp pick for a guy that we ditched halfway through the season?

Trading ERod, Tarpley, Davies

Trading Hader and a comp pick for Bud Norris

I mean, come on. The farm system is gutted.

afd4b7c086c0a97872a24a632b9fd353.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How in any way, shape, or form could this be considered a "steal"?

It's being reported that the Braves plan to DFA Matusz. They basically bought the 76th pick for roughly 4 million dollars, AND gave up two potentially useful arms in the process. I'm not even sure that comes out as a "win", much less a "steal".

Keith Law cracks me up sometimes.

Tendering Matusz in the first place and then giving away a comp pick because of mismanagement?

If this was a thread about general mistakes on DD's part... I'd be inclined to agree with you...

But my post was specific to the actual trade under discussion here.

And given the real value of a 76th is well under 1 Net WAR.... and that we ditched a crappy contract, gained considerable cash, and two prospects that don't look half bad.. I repeat... What's not to like?

So annoying. So Duquette tenders Matusz a contract, gives him about 7 weeks to rehab and pitch...and then essentially gives a comp pick to someone else to take him. It's robbery.

We have to face the fact that Matusz has negative value right now. Only way to get rid of him is either pay his contract or offer something of value. I do hope DD actually keeps the players, unlike the guy in the Webb deal who actually appeared to have potential. Did we lose him as a 40 man roster casualty?

It's being reported that the Braves plan to DFA Matusz. They basically bought the 76th pick for roughly 4 million dollars, AND gave up two potentially useful arms in the process. I'm not even sure that comes out as a "win", much less a "steal".

I would agree.

In fact, if there's any stealing going on, it isn't on Atlanta's part

Law replied to another tweet saying he thought the Braves were going to try to flip Matusz for a something at the deadline.

It's a win for the Braves since they will have more money to spend on hard to sign draft picks. It's a win for the Os since they have more money to afford to trade for a guy like James Shields.

Law replied to another tweet saying he thought the Braves were going to try to flip Matusz for a something at the deadline.

I guess 'ol KLaw is a little slow on the uptake.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a> designate LHP Brian Matusz for assignment</p>— Atlanta Braves (@Braves) <a href="

">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I actually think this is a reasonable way to deal with the s**t sandwich that is Matusz. He's obviously done pitching important games at this point, and we're too good right now to let him rot as the last guy in our pen, so it's kind of necessary. Duquette really values being able to do the bullpen shuffle between Norfolk/Bowie, and Matusz makes that really hard.

I think that the biggest and most valid complaint is that we were in a position to eat that sandwich to begin with. It would have been preferable to deal with Matusz at an earlier point in time. Instead we're in a situation where he's dead money.

Archived