Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ML deals for HS pitchers don't make sense, and it cost Bundy a lot of money

Hopefully we'll never see another.

...there should be opportunities for Bundy to build up his innings count.

They were removed from the MLB the season after Bundy was drafted. The CBA does not allow MLB contracts for draftees.

Anyone get the impression from the article there were probably a handful of setbacks during his various rehabs that may not have been public knowledge? I admittedly, of course, don't remember all the details of Dylan's rehabs, but I didn't really remember a lot of setbacks being discussed - I seem to remember the team often saying he is progressing slowly, etc. The way he talks about listening to his body, not pushing it, and realizing the importance of all that now makes me think he probably delayed his recovery at various points by pushing too hard.

May be reading way more into it than warranted, could be way off base, and clearly doesn't matter much now anyway. Just hope the kid can have a healthy year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone get the impression from the article there were probably a handful of setbacks during his various rehabs that may not have been public knowledge? I admittedly, of course, don't remember all the details of Dylan's rehabs, but I didn't really remember a lot of setbacks being discussed - I seem to remember the team often saying he is progressing slowly, etc. The way he talks about listening to his body, not pushing it, and realizing the importance of all that now makes me think he probably delayed his recovery at various points by pushing too hard.

May be reading way more into it than warranted, could be way off base, and clearly doesn't matter much now anyway. Just hope the kid can have a healthy year.

IDK, seams to me, anytime Roch wrote about it, there was panic here in OH.

I am sure some of it slipped by the media, probably not too many.

The sad thing for Bundy is that contract he signed, may cost him a lot of money in the future. Instead of going through a normal rehab and development at AA,AAA, he is forced to do it at the big league level. It will likely slow his progress as a starter. It's too bad the contract language couldn't deal with injuries and actual service time.

Not possible.

IDK, seams to me, anytime Roch wrote about it, there was panic here in OH.

I am sure some of it slipped by the media, probably not too many.

Remember, media picks up the panic from here as well.

There's a question that no one seems to be asking.

Who is Bundy keeping out of the 40 man? Who would be in the minors that should be in that spot?

I think you can argue whether he should or shouldn't be on the 40 man until the cows come home. What needs to be asked is whether or not the spot he's taking should go to someone with a lot less question marks.

There's a question that no one seems to be asking.

Who is Bundy keeping out of the 40 man? Who would be in the minors that should be in that spot?

I think you can argue whether he should or shouldn't be on the 40 man until the cows come home. What needs to be asked is whether or not the spot he's taking should go to someone with a lot less question marks.

It isn't really that big of a deal. We "lost" Tim Berry but he had a ton of question marks anyway. Generally the 35-40th men have lots of question marks. HenryU, Rickard, Hoes, CJ, Pena all fit into this category. Come end of ST, we could be looking at quite a few open spots on the 40 man.

I think Bundy will throw about 40 innings in the majors this year. I expect two fairly long stints on the DL that make full use of the MiL rehab assignments. If the O's are out of it late in the season and he's really healthy, then hopefully he gets a couple of abbreviated starts. If so, then he may throw a few more innings. Garcia only threw 29 ML innings last year. If the O's were able to keep him then the O's can surely handle Bundy.

That's entirely possible. It happened to my friend who was drafted 34th overall by the Pirates in 1983. After Syd Thrift took over as GM they decided they wanted to change his delivery. He got a September call-up in 1986 (I watched him lock horns in a pitcher's duel against Cubs rookie Greg Maddux), but then he started having arm troubles resulting in surgeries and never made it back to the big leagues. His minor league pitching coach (Jackie Brown) later said he should have stopped Thrift from making the change and the scout who signed him later publicly blamed Thrift as well. Hopefully 30 years of medical advancement will give Bundy a chance to be something resembling what we expected.

I'm assuming your friend is this guy?

Re: renegotiating Bundy's contract. Say we ripped up his contract and signed him to a $7 mm contract, then designated him for assignment. The only way to claim him is to assume the contract. Does anyone bite, or could we successfully get him through waivers to spend part of the year in the minors?

Mind you, I'm not recommending this, just curious what you think other teams would do in that scenario.

Re: renegotiating Bundy's contract. Say we ripped up his contract and signed him to a $7 mm contract, then designated him for assignment. The only way to claim him is to assume the contract. Does anyone bite, or could we successfully get him through waivers to spend part of the year in the minors?

Mind you, I'm not recommending this, just curious what you think other teams would do in that scenario.

I guess that would work. I can't see anyone buying him for that. So that tells you what his real value on a trade level would be.

The closest comp I could think of what Atlanta basically buying a prospect from Arizona by taking on Arroyo'a contract. Mind you, he was healthy.

Theoretically $7M Gets him through waivers but you are screwed in arbitration (if he makes it that long). And the contract likely defeats the purpose of getting excess value.

Archived