Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

Roy ....... or Weams ...... I need an assist here.

Grammer police strikes again. I told you it was tired before still is.

It's grammar. And those two were just quoting lyrics.

You telling lies thinking I can't see

You don't cry cos you're laughing at me

I'm down (I'm really down)

I'm down (Down on the ground)

How can you laugh when you know I'm down

(How can you laugh) When you know I'm down

Man buys ring woman throws it away

Same old thing happens everyday

I'm down (Down on the ground)

(How can you laugh) When you know I'm down

We're all alone and there's nobody else

You still moan, "Keep your hands to yourself!"

Oh baby I'm down (Down on the ground)

(How can you laugh) When you know I'm down.

Waaaao! Baby I'm down

Thank you, Weams.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thrift made some trades that worked out well for the Pirates (Van Slyke, Drabek, etc.), but I'm not sure I'd credit him for having much to do with developing good young players. Bonds, Bonilla, etc., were already in the system. And multiple people who worked for the Pirates in those days told me he was not to be trusted. There are things for which he deserved credit, but maybe the Bucs were lucky to rid themselves of him so quickly before he had a chance to do to the Pirates what he did to the Orioles (although they certainly managed it on their own).

The record shows that Thrift oversaw a vast improvement--not so sure that the same leadership would have ruined the team in the following years, which, in fact, went on to become perennial division winners. And when you trade for such young players or commit to playing them so early, the line between development and acquisition becomes blurred. Thrift is credited with heading a pioneering institution that developed players, the Baseball Academy, and with signing or developing Ricky Henderson, Frank White, Al Oliver, Bonilla, among others. Not disputing that he was awful late in his life with the O's or that he may have not been completely trustworthy as a colleague, but his record with Baltimore shouldn't be allowed to obscure his previous important accomplishments, which spanned many more years.

Whatever changes he made didn't prevent him from blowing through one level of ball after another, always at increasing age differentials. Would he have done even better and also escaped injury if he had "just picked up a ball and thrown it?" His composite record for his first year of pro ball (age 19) was 9-3, 2.08 ERA, 119 Ks in 103.67 innings.

Right. And "pick it up and throw it" is great when you're throwing fastballs against overmatched high school and low minors kids. Likely works less well against major league batters.

On a related note of O's minor league pitching wishful thinking, I've been following Pat Connaughton here and there and he's not getting any time in Portland. There has been talk about sending him down to the D league in fact.

He's got one more year of guaranteed money in the NBA and then a team option for the 3rd year. If he shows up in the system some time in 2017/18 is it too late for him? I wonder if he'd be able to work his way up to a spot in the pen.

Bundy has about the same chance of ever contributing meaningfully as JJ Hardy has of ever contributing meaningfully with his bat again.

I'm sure there are plenty of fans (and MASN announcers) who are convinced Bundy can still be an ace, and JJ Hardy will bounce back and hit 20 HR again, but I give either scenario a snowball's chance.

Bundy has about the same chance of ever contributing meaningfully as JJ Hardy has of ever contributing meaningfully with his bat again.

I'm sure there are plenty of fans (and MASN announcers) who are convinced Bundy can still be an ace, and JJ Hardy will bounce back and hit 20 HR again, but I give either scenario a snowball's chance.

So having looked at his MRI's, watching his rehab progress up close and personal, you have come to that conclusion huh?

Nobody knows what Bundy will be, we certainly do not have the required medical records to make a judgement on him based on his previous medical issues. Saying Bundy is going to be a bust with an air of authority is really just sticking your finger in the air and deciding which way the wind is blowing then getting all blow hard about it. I have no more real evidence to support the fact Bundy can come back than you have evidence he cannot. Truth is, only time will tell and until that question is answered, his trade value is minimal likely.

The record shows that Thrift oversaw a vast improvement--not so sure that the same leadership would have ruined the team in the following years, which, in fact, went on to become perennial division winners. And when you trade for such young players or commit to playing them so early, the line between development and acquisition becomes blurred. Thrift is credited with heading a pioneering institution that developed players, the Baseball Academy, and with signing or developing Ricky Henderson, Frank White, Al Oliver, Bonilla, among others. Not disputing that he was awful late in his life with the O's or that he may have not been completely trustworthy as a colleague, but his record with Baltimore shouldn't be allowed to obscure his previous important accomplishments, which spanned many more years.

I'm not sure what Thrift's accomplishments with Kansas City have to do with his tenure as GM of the Pirates. Nor does anything he did as a scout for the Pirates in the 1960s have anything to do with it. Nobody is discrediting the things he did in those positions. I just think you're giving him far too much credit for the success the Pirates had after he was fired as GM. Yes, he acquired Van Slyke and Drabek. He brought Bonilla back to the club after a failed Rule 5 experience with the White Sox. He also traded away Rich Reuschel for two players who contributed nothing and Reuschel went on to win 36 games for the Giants over the next two seasons. The only players of consequence that Thrift drafted in his three years were Jeff King, a corner infielder with little power, and Tim Wakefield, who had a 5.61 ERA and a 1.71 WHIP in 1993 before they shipped him off to Boston. Most of the players who formed the core of those teams were either already in the system when Thrift was hired as GM or were acquired after he was fired. And it's not like the Pirates had been a terrible team for ages when he took over. The best thing he did may have been hiring Jim Leyland. But I fail to see how he was a big success in player development during those three years.

Yes. They could. If he was not claimed, he could stay in the minors. The Royals would claim him. Then Toronto. Then the Astros. Then the Yankees.

Then every other team in MLB. Bundy will be on the team or on the DL. If we can rule 5 with McFarland and Garcia, we sure as heck are doing it with Bundy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can someone name another pitcher with a injury history as long as Bundy that bounced back to a stellar career? I am just curious because I finally am in the trade now camp.

What would you get back for Bundy?

And to answer. Andrew Miller. For one. Erik Bedard. For two. Cliff Lee.

I am not sure wouldn't be one for one but a add to make one work . I was curious as I couldn't think of anyone that started their career like his . Thanks for answering. I guess like most have lost faith in him ever producing.

A lot of us have.

Can someone name another pitcher with a injury history as long as Bundy that bounced back to a stellar career? I am just curious because I finally am in the trade now camp.

Strasburg, maybe? I seem to remember he had multiple injuries early on in his career. Not 100% sure on that, though.

Archived