Dylan Bundy Thread

drdelaware

Im not trying to hijack this thread but I talked to some pitching experts and coaches recently. Many believe the Orioles ruined Bundy and tried to change him and that contributed to his arm problems.I dont know that I agree, but I heard it from several people.

What exactly did they try and change? They let him keep his workouts. They let him long toss. Not letting him throw his cutter in games caused calcification in his shoulder capsule?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While Bundy hasn't directly blamed the Orioles he has mentioned mechanical changes they made which he now feels were wrong for him.

May I ask who this is directed at within the org? Don't know honestly but seems to be a theme. Peterson?

If nothing else changes on our team, I see two options with Bundy:

A. He is healthy and cannot be put on the DL, so I start him in the fifth spot. The bullpen is full.

B. He is not healthy and he goes on the DL until considered healthy and then he goes on a full rehab assignment in the minors. If he pitches bad, I get him re-evaluated by "our" doctors to find something else wrong and put him on the DL again.

If he starts the year off pitching for us and looks bad, I go back to the second part of option B, find something wrong with him and DL him.

If nothing else changes on our team' date=' I see two options with Bundy:

A. He is healthy and cannot be put on the DL, so I start him in the fifth spot. The bullpen is full.

B. He is not healthy and he goes on the DL until considered healthy and then he goes on a full rehab assignment in the minors. If he pitches bad, I get him re-evaluated by "our" doctors to find something else wrong and put him on the DL again.

If he starts the year off pitching for us and looks bad, I go back to the second part of option B, find something wrong with him and DL him.[/quote']

I don't see them letting him hit 100 innings in 2016 even if he is fully healthy.

Even at four innings a pop that's 25 starts.

If he's healthy he's in the pen (and throwing less than 70 innings).

Im not trying to hijack this thread but I talked to some pitching experts and coaches recently. Many believe the Orioles ruined Bundy and tried to change him and that contributed to his arm problems.I dont know that I agree, but I heard it from several people.

That's entirely possible. It happened to my friend who was drafted 34th overall by the Pirates in 1983. After Syd Thrift took over as GM they decided they wanted to change his delivery. He got a September call-up in 1986 (I watched him lock horns in a pitcher's duel against Cubs rookie Greg Maddux), but then he started having arm troubles resulting in surgeries and never made it back to the big leagues. His minor league pitching coach (Jackie Brown) later said he should have stopped Thrift from making the change and the scout who signed him later publicly blamed Thrift as well. Hopefully 30 years of medical advancement will give Bundy a chance to be something resembling what we expected.

Whatever changes he made didn't prevent him from blowing through one level of ball after another, always at increasing age differentials. Would he have done even better and also escaped injury if he had "just picked up a ball and thrown it?" His composite record for his first year of pro ball (age 19) was 9-3, 2.08 ERA, 119 Ks in 103.67 innings.

That's entirely possible. It happened to my friend who was drafted 34th overall by the Pirates in 1983. After Syd Thrift took over as GM they decided they wanted to change his delivery. He got a September call-up in 1986 (I watched him lock horns in a pitcher's duel against Cubs rookie Greg Maddux), but then he started having arm troubles resulting in surgeries and never made it back to the big leagues. His minor league pitching coach (Jackie Brown) later said he should have stopped Thrift from making the change and the scout who signed him later publicly blamed Thrift as well. Hopefully 30 years of medical advancement will give Bundy a chance to be something resembling what we expected.

The same Sud Thrift who was the best Oriole GM ever?Just don't have any Jefferson Davis money for him.

Thrift had been out of baseball for nine years when in 1985 he was the surprise choice for general manager by a new Pirates ownership group. Thrift hired a relatively unknown Jim Leyland, then the Chicago White Sox third base coach, as manager. Together they turned the last place Pirates around and by 1988 the club finished second to the New York Mets, which was considered by some a miracle. Thrift's time in Pittsburgh ended immediately after the 1988 season when he was fired after butting heads with team ownership. Thrift's management and personnel decisions were later widely attributed for the team's subsequent success, as they won National League Eastern Division titles from 1990 through 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Thrift

The heart of that 1988 team included Bonds, Bonilla, Drabek, John Smiley, Sid Bream, Rafael Belliard, Jose Lind, and Andy Van Slyke--all good to great players between the ages of 23 and 27.

Thrift also founded the KC Royals' renowned Baseball Academy.

Archived