The knuckleball

OsEatAlEast

Let me say that this is not a reactionary thread. Just a question I have about how the O's think.

Something I've always wondered about but never really asked anyone's opinion about on the board. I've always heard that the more humid it is the more life a knuckleball will have. So with the knowledge that Baltimore is one of the most humid places that MLB is played (outside). Why do the O's never have a knuckleball pitcher in their rotation?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are not that many that can actually pitch that pitch effectively. Most that have tried can not keep the pitch in the zone long enough to make it a strike and walk the house. Those that have a good Knuckleball throw them at a variety of speeds as this changes the "Action" of the pitch.

I know they are not that easy to develop. But at the same time the ones that that can throw one. Usually aren't that expensive aside from Dickey. Could the O's trade for one possibly?

How many active and moderately successful knuckleballers do you see in the majors in a given year?

I'm guessing it is around two.

They had a pretty good one back in the day.

The O's have tried, they are not easy to develop.

I would think Gamboa would be plenty of evidence that this is something the O's have looked at.

Sure they might have looked at it. But I think it was only a half hearted attempt. I remember Gamboa's knuckleball being a tumbler. Not something you want to see in a knuckleball.

Hoyt Wilhelm was the "pretty good one". He lived right down the block from Brooks Robinson and pitched 5 great years for the Orioles, in fact he led the A.L. in ERA one year.On September 20 of that year, Wilhelm no-hit the eventual World Champion New York Yankees 1-0 at Memorial Stadium, in only his ninth career start. He allowed two baserunners on walks and struck out eight. The no-hitter had been threatened at one point in the ninth inning when Hank Bauer bunted along the baseline, but Robinson allowed the ball to roll and it veered foul. The no-hitter was the first in the franchise's Baltimore history; the Orioles had moved from St. Louis after the 1953 season.Wilhelm is a Hall of Famer.

Sometimes I like to use understatement. I figured someone would come behind me and explain further.

You did a great job, much better than I would have.

Who does have a knuckleballer in their rotation? And before you say Toronto, I say Syndergaard and D'Arnaud.

All I'm really trying to say is that I think a good knuckleballer would be more effective in Baltimore than most other places. Due to regional climate factors Baltimore is one of the most humid places where MLB is played. It's just a theory of mine, one which I'd like to see tested.

As for the no one else is doing it argument. I say what could it hurt? Just need to keep trying guys out(minors) until someone sticks.

All I'm really trying to say is that I think a good knuckleballer would be more effective in Baltimore than most other places. Due to regional climate factors Baltimore is one of the most humid places where MLB is played. It's just a theory of mine, one which I'd like to see tested.

As for the no one else is doing it argument. I say what could it hurt? Just need to keep trying guys out(minors) until someone sticks.

Do you think it is easy to get guys that have washed out as minor league ballplayers to give it a go for another 2-3 years at what they make in an attempt to because a gimmick pitcher?

Do you think it is easy to get guys that have washed out as minor league ballplayers to give it a go for another 2-3 years at what they make in an attempt to because a gimmick pitcher?

Why do they have to be washed out minor leaguers? Heck they could be a fringe amateur that you could sign with an agreement said amateur becomes a knuckleball pitcher.

Archived