It could take $400 million to sign Manny (internet sources unnamed)

calmunderfire

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But they said he doesn't hit like Cabrera or Trout or Pujols. Blah, blah, blah. Were they free agents at 26 years old? No they were not.

Well, Trout will be. And Cabrera and Pujols were what, 26 or 27? Not the best use of comps to make a point.

Miguel Cabrera is always a strange comp because aside from being the greatest hitter on the planet, he also had several DUI and threaten to commit suicide by cop and beat his wife in that mix.

Yeah, you shouldn't go there. The young man has mental issues and needs help. But I do not think they need to brought up

jmodmir

400 million for how many years?

Isn't years the most important thing?

Well, in a sense it is. I guess if it were only for five years it would be more ludicrous and if it were for 20 it would seem more reasonable. I'm a afraid the Orioles would feel compelled to play him at age 46

SI sabermatic math dude was on with Scotty G end of last week on 105.7 and was talking Manny, and his own belief was that Manny belong in the same breath and Trout and Harper.

Manny is having a great year so far. He's been about as valuable as Trout, and more valuable than Harper through 52 games. But for contract purposes, both Harper and Trout have been better longer.

Harper (fWAR): 4.6, 4.0., 1.4, 9.5, 2.3

Trout (fWAR) 0.7, 10.3, 10.5, 8.0, 9.0, 3.5

Machado (fWAR): 1.3, 6.2, 2.3, 6.8, 3.4

I can make an argument that Manny has been as good as Harper. It's much harder to argue he's been as good as Trout, who has put up monster numbers year after year. But he may get more than the $33 mm Trout will be making in 2019-20, if he continues to perform well and is willing to bear the risk of injury or performance decline up to free agency. Trout chose not to take that risk.

Yeah, you shouldn't go there. The young man has mental issues and needs help. But I do not think they need to brought up

jmodmir

I thought he had recoverd some. Sorry for my bad taste if that is not the case. But it does suppress his market and that was my point.

No baseball player should get 300 or 400 million. Manny is good but not that good. I think Manny is for sure gone when he hits free agency. When is he a free agent? Schoop is the guy I would sign. He will be cheaper and easier to sign.

That will be what he will get and that's what he's worth. That's the current market. Will we pay it? Hard to imagine but it's also hard to imagine letting Manny walk out of Baltimore in his prime.

Archived