It could take $400 million to sign Manny (internet sources unnamed)

calmunderfire

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$400 million for how many years?

Look at the OP, and look at his answer when questioned by Gordo as to what his source for his information is.

You can fill in any number that you like when operating like this.

Look at the OP, and look at his answer when questioned by Gordo as to what his source for his information is.

There has been multiple articles on the internet, since last year, some even reliable, like fangraphs about Harper and the 500 million mark.

400 million for how many years?

There has been multiple articles on the internet, since last year, some even reliable, like fangraphs about Harper and the 500 million mark.

That's great.

Calmunderfire didn't cite any references in his OP, he cited no references when questioned about his OP, and he wasn't talking about Harper. He was talking about Machado, and asserted that he was seeking $400 Million.

Well, 400/15 is 26.7 so... 15 years? :scratchchinhmm:

$400 million for how many years?

Well, 400/15 is 26.7 so... 15 years? :scratchchinhmm:

Whatever you like.

If you want 15, then it's 15 ...... according to the internet.

No baseball player should get 300 or 400 million. Manny is good but not that good. I think Manny is for sure gone when he hits free agency. When is he a free agent? Schoop is the guy I would sign. He will be cheaper and easier to sign.

Manny should. So should Harper, Trout.

How much does catwomen123 think we should pay Manny? Seriously, 400 million isn't unrealistic. The Orioles have never been a proactive organization. My hope would be that the owner on down would be heavily involved with Manny and his agent trying to work out a way that he could become a life time Oriole. But, hoping for that would be similar to Charlie Brown hoping to kick the football.

That's great.

Calmunderfire didn't cite any references in his OP, he cited no references when questioned about his OP, and he wasn't talking about Harper. He was talking about Machado, and asserted that he was seeking $400 Million.

I also mentioned hearing a SI sabermatics dude on 105.7 talking to Scotty G. and his opinion and I believe he wrote a piece about Manny and being worth as much as Harper and Trout.

I also mentioned hearing a SI sabermatics dude on 105.7 talking to Scotty G. and his opinion and I believe he wrote a piece about Manny and being worth as much as Harper and Trout.

This has nothing to do with what you mentioned, or what you heard or read.

You quoted me in regard to my post about calmunfire not having any reference for his OP.

He started a thread asserting something with no source, and did not provide one when asked for one later in the same thread. He's wrong for doing that. Please stop changing the subject.

If he enters free agency as a 26 year old, he will get a 10 year deal with an opt-out and a total contract value greater than 350 million. I don't believe his ask is unreasonable if he starts his contract as a UFA.

If he were to get a contract now, he could get about 30 million for 2 years bought out plus maybe 30 million a year for another 8 years, which puts him at about 10/270. This is a pretty reasonable contract, and if anything it is team friendly, as it locks him up for his entire peak period with really no decline years. The only risk would be a catastrophic injury that kills his effectiveness as a player. Even if he signed a 12 year deal with the same 30 million a year, it wouldn't be that bad. 12/330, covering ages 24-35? You have a bit more risk at the tail end of that deal, but not so much that you wouldn't do it. You could also get a bit of a discount on AAV for an extra 2 years of money. So it would probably be closer to 12/310.

If we wanted, we could probably give him a discount in exchange for an opt-out after year 4. Assuming a 12 year deal, it would be maybe 290 million at full term, 4/82 if he opts out.

Trout's 6/144 deal isn't super relevant, since today the same deal would probably be about 6/180 given FA inflation. Plus, even assuming inflation, he apparently doesn't really like more money that much. That deal was a bargain, and he almost certainly could have extracted an extra 50-100 million if he wanted.

Archived