One third through the season the O's are on an amazing 93 win pace.

wildcard

The problem with this equation is that the starting pitching isn't mediocre, it's bad. Let's not mince words. Also, I can't say the defense has been good. The stats don't bear it out.
The SP has been bad recently. Prior to that it has been mediocre. I don't think the SP will be as bad as it has been the past week or so. But then I have a glass half full agenda. So I'm not really cool.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're probably right with the O's inability to grow starters.

Arretia was a mental mess in Baltimore but the Orioles groomed him. People forget Arrieta had elbow troubles and was restricted on the cutter and that's nothing new. But others in the org do throw it and if Bundy wanted to throw it, he would. So this issue is really a non issue to me.

We started 7-0 and have played .500 ball since. We are a mediocre team that has no chance of being too successful with this horrible pitching. I don't think we are winning near 93 games. We will be lucky to break .500. But when you give away a Cy Young winner like Arrietta and an up and coming stud in Edwardo Rodriguez.That's bound to happen. Orginizations are dying to get talent like that. It don't come often. We gave our chance of great starting pitching away, now we are stuck with scrubs.

We've been over .500 since the seven game season opening streak.

We started 7-0 and have played .500 ball since. We are a mediocre team that has no chance of being too successful with this horrible pitching. I don't think we are winning near 93 games. We will be lucky to break .500. But when you give away a Cy Young winner like Arrietta and an up and coming stud in Edwardo Rodriguez.That's bound to happen. Orginizations are dying to get talent like that. It don't come often. We gave our chance of great starting pitching away, now we are stuck with scrubs.

It's funny how the 7-0 streak in May is discounted too. It's like it was a gift to them and they didn't earn it. Much like the 7-0 streak to start the year. I suggest that if anyone wants to cherry pick and throw out two 7 game win streaks, they need to go ahead and subtract 14 of the losses, too.

The SP has been bad recently. Prior to that it has been mediocre. I don't think the SP will be as bad as it has been the past week or so. But then I have a glass half full agenda. So I'm not really cool.

I usually consider myself to be a glass half full guy. But that particular glass is only 1/4 full, at most.

I usually consider myself to be a glass half full guy. But that particular glass is only 1/4 full, at most.
In the first 45 G the pitching in total gave up 4 runs or less 32 times, and 3 runs or less 25 G out of the 45. I'd say the SP was at least mediocre during that stretch,. The last 9 G they have been horrible, so if you think the last 9 G is their true talent level your glass is 1/4 full.

In the first 45 G the pitching in total gave up 4 runs or less 32 times, and 3 runs or less 25 G out of the 45. I'd say the SP was at least mediocre during that stretch,. The last 9 G they have been horrible, so if you think the last 9 G is their true talent level your glass is 1/4 full.

In the first 45 games our starters threw to a 4.45 ERA. If you want to call that mediocre I won't argue with you. But I'm more interested in the full 54. They all count. I do think we'll improve, and said that earlier in the thread.

In the first 45 games our starters threw to a 4.45 ERA. If you want to call that mediocre I won't argue with you. But I'm more interested in the full 54. They all count. I do think we'll improve, and said that earlier in the thread.
A 4.50 ERA is a QS. That's OK by me. Any time you get that you have a shot to win. I'd say looking at a poor stretch of 9 G and saying that means the pitching is worse than mediocre, is just being a reactionary fan.

A 4.50 ERA is a QS. That's OK by me. Any time you get that you have a shot to win. I'd say looking at a poor stretch of 9 G and saying that means the pitching is worse than mediocre, is just being a reactionary fan.

I already said that if you wanted to consider the starting pitching over the first 45 games mediocre, I wouldn't argue with you. But just like I don't like Tony's gambit of excluding the first 7 games when characterizing how the team has looked this year, I don't like your tactic of excluding the last 9 games. All the games count, and when you're 13th of 15 in starter ERA, that's lousy, not mediocre.

I already said that if you wanted to consider the starting pitching over the first 45 games mediocre, I wouldn't argue with you. But just like I don't like Tony's gambit of excluding the first 7 games when characterizing how the team has looked this year, I don't like your tactic of excluding the last 9 games. All the games count, and when you're 13th of 15 in starter ERA, that's lousy, not mediocre.
You'd be right if the season ended today. ERA isn't such a great indicator IMO. A lot of that high SP ERA comes from Gallardo and Ubaldo. In 63% of our 55 G, pitching has given up 4 runs or less. I wouldn't call that lousy.

Would you to place a wager?

Archived