Nick Cafardo: Dan Duquette Is 'One Of The Best GMs In The Game'

PressBoxOnline

Completely refute the premise that given the money to spend DD will do a good job

Signed Hardy

Signed Ubaldo

Signed O'day

Signed Davis

Signed Gallardo

None of those is/will be a good signing, most are/will be a complete waste of money (Gallardo, Hardy, O'day)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been some bad decisions and there are reasons to be concerned about the future but it's too soon for my tastes to pass judgement on those concerns just yet.

I suppose, but I think it's fair to express concerns about the state of the farm system before the consequences bear out. It's in a pretty bad state right now and sooner or later it will be a problem. We've feasted off surplus value from some young players the last four years, but those guys are getting older and more expensive and there are not equivalent talents coming through the ranks.

If I remember correctly DD said when he came here that this team was done with 5 year plans, and the time to win is now. I was happy to see that then, and he has been mostly right.

After 14 losing season, this fan base could not endure another 5 year plan that had no payoff.......DD did what was needed, the O's are now among the best in the AL. Someday it will end, and we will have to rebuild, but at least we will have 5,7,8? strong years to look back on, while we wait for the next run.

If I remember correctly DD said when he came here that this team was done with 5 year plans, and the time to win is now. I was happy to see that then, and he has been mostly right.

After 14 losing season, this fan base could not endure another 5 year plan that had no payoff.......DD did what was needed, the O's are now among the best in the AL. Someday it will end, and we will have to rebuild, but at least we will have 5,7,8? strong years to look back on, while we wait for the next run.

Yeah, well, he also said he was going to focus on starting pitching....and 4 out of the 5 years he's been here the starting rotation has been bottom of the barrel.

hoosiers has done a good job of showing that this is largely a false choice (5-year plan vs. win now). DD has made a number of moves that hurt us in the long run and did not materially benefit us in the short run. But I'm not going to be totally harsh on him, because he also has made a lot of clever moves that added up to significant success at times.

hoosiers has done a good job of showing that this is largely a false choice (5-year plan vs. win now). DD has made a number of moves that hurt us in the long run and did not materially benefit us in the short run. But I'm not going to be totally harsh on him, because he also has made a lot of clever moves that added up to significant success at times.

I'm not saying you can't do both at the same time, but, I'm thankful we didnt get a GM that continued to say "just wait it's coming". I heard that for 14 years. DD stuck his neck out and said we are in win now mode, and you know what, we have been winning now.

Yeah, well, he also said he was going to focus on starting pitching....and 4 out of the 5 years he's been here the starting rotation has been bottom of the barrel.

He has focused on starters as much as the budget will allow. End of story.

You state this as if it's a fact. What it really is is an opinion that you have no way of proving

Why would DD refuse to spend on an area of obvious and acknowledged need if he had the budget?

He said all this before the team payed a game under him.

He said his goal each and every year was to have a winning ballclub, compete for the playoffs and the world series. Every year. He said that he looked to bring better on base percentage hitters into the organization and stockpile pitching inventory to supplement the major league roster and to be used to trade to supplement the major league roster.

Completely refute the premise that given the money to spend DD will do a good job

Signed Hardy

Signed Ubaldo

Signed O'day

Signed Davis

Signed Gallardo

None of those is/will be a good signing, most are/will be a complete waste of money (Gallardo, Hardy, O'day)

Pedro Martinez

Why would DD refuse to spend on an area of obvious and acknowledged need if he had the budget?

Because he has chosen to spend it elsewhere. There are plenty of teams with our budget that spend a lot more money on starting pitching. Perhaps he feels that, as much as he'd like to have better pitching, the price of starting pitching is out of line with the rest of the market, and he can win more games by spending his money elsewhere.

I don't have current figures, but in 2014 the median team spent about 28% of its payroll on starting pitchers. The O's were 25th, at $22.7 mm, 21.6% of payroll. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-payroll-allocation-by-position/

The Orioles are currently spending about $29.5 mm of $139 mm, about 21.2% of payroll, on the starting pitching. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2016-payroll-salaries.shtml

Archived