How Many Games?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8+

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm proud of Manny for not taking his bat with him. That's all the restraint I could expect. The guy hit him last year, threw at him twice the at-bat before... and obviously yelling at him didn't work. The only way to stop him was to physically stand up to him.

We're talking about Ventura here - the guy who started 3 bench-clearing brawls last year, so obviously MLB takes that into account and will NOT give him an Odor type penalty - if they have any brains at all. 3 games sounds reasonable. And the fact that there was not Odor level punch does make a difference - even if Manny would have liked to connect with one. Ventura picked Baltimore's best player to throw at - and he threw at him 3 f'n times that game. If you give Manny a 7 game suspension, that encourages teams to use their hot-head pitchers to go after top players.

Since this is so many times Ventura has done this kind of thing, maybe it's time for the Royals to be penalized, so they won't continue to enable that kind of behavior.

I don't think the penalty to Manny will turn much on (1) Ventura's past conduct or (2) whether Manny managed to land a solid punch or not. The fact is, MLB doesn't want players charging the mound and punching opposing players, even when provoked. It's for the league to impose discipline on Ventura, not the players. That's how the league will see it, anyway.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Btw, I think Manny going after Ventura actually diffuses the situation. Otherwise, Baltimore would be obligated under the "unwritten rules of baseball" to throw at KC's best player. At this point, I don't think Baltimore does that. KC's management should be sending presents to Manny.

I don't think the penalty to Manny will turn much on (1) Ventura's past conduct or (2) whether Manny managed to land a solid punch or not. The fact is, MLB doesn't want players charging the mound and punching opposing players, even when provoked. It's for the league to impose discipline on Ventura, not the players. That's how the league will see it, anyway.

I completely disagree with you on both points. One, do you seriously believe that Odor's penalty would have been as big if he didn't connect on a great punch? 2. Yes, MLB doesn't want players charging the mound, but is that anything new? When have they wanted players to charge the mound? Do you thing they WANT pitchers throwing at batters with 99 MPH fastballs. Regardless, you always have to look at the facts and circumstances - and the facts and circumstances certainly show the pitcher was more at fault.

Ventura should get 15 games. Many should get 3. And that's letting Ventura off light.

Sounds about right. Ventura got 7 games for his last incident? If they don't at least double it, what are they saying? Look at the increasing penalties for PED violations as a standard.

A couple of things in Manny's favor,

When he was running down the baseline he was shouting in Spanish "Don't pitch me inside". This is what they translated it lip read on Baseball Tonight.

Buck said that he saw it coming and warned Manny.

What would any player in the game do if they knew they were going to get hit, were thrown at the previous AB, told the P not to throw inside, then got plunked with a 99 mph fb in the back? That hurt like hell, that's why Manny did that little jump before he charged the mound.

MLBPA should let that guy Smouse we have for arbitration hearings help out with this. Easily reduced. This is what he should have done to Donaldson.

I completely disagree with you on both points. One, do you seriously believe that Odor's penalty would have been as big if he didn't connect on a great punch? 2. Yes, MLB doesn't want players charging the mound, but is that anything new? When have they wanted players to charge the mound? Do you thing they WANT pitchers throwing at batters with 99 MPH fastballs. Regardless, you always have to look at the facts and circumstances - and the facts and circumstances certainly show the pitcher was more at fault.

I'm sure the league does not want Ventura throwing at people, and I expect they will give him a suspension that reflects that and his past history. That's got little to do with Manny's penalty. No point in arguing further about it - we will know the penalties soon enough.

I'm sure the league does not want Ventura throwing at people, and I expect they will give him a suspension that reflects that and his past history. That's got little to do with Manny's penalty. No point in arguing further about it - we will know the penalties soon enough.

Ok, I will point out again... If MLB doesn't look at all the facts and circumstances, then they're not doing their job.

I'm proud of Manny for not taking his bat with him. That's all the restraint I could expect. The guy hit him last year, threw at him twice the at-bat before... and obviously yelling at him didn't work. The only way to stop him was to physically stand up to him.

We're talking about Ventura here - the guy who started 3 bench-clearing brawls last year, so obviously MLB takes that into account and will NOT give him an Odor type penalty - if they have any brains at all. 3 games sounds reasonable. And the fact that there was not Odor level punch does make a difference - even if Manny would have liked to connect with one. Ventura picked Baltimore's best player to throw at - and he threw at him 3 f'n times that game. If you give Manny a 7 game suspension, that encourages teams to use their hot-head pitchers to go after top players.

Since this is so many times Ventura has done this kind of thing, maybe it's time for the Royals to be penalized, so they won't continue to enable that kind of behavior.

Another thing that makes a big difference between Manny and Odor is that Odor swung first at Bautista. Bautista slides into Odor, gets up, and then Odor not only yells at him, he gives him a full force two handed shove to the chest, followed by a full power punch to the face. Odor responded to the slide with a really strong escalation of violence. Manny charged the mound, and should only get the suspension for charging the mound, not for the "punch". He had good reason to charge the mound as far as these things go at least. Ventura actually took the first swing! So it doesn't compare to Odor, I know I'm not unbiased here, but my brain is telling me that Manny doesn't deserve nearly as manny games as Odor got. I'd give him 3-5 max, and I think that's very fair.

Btw, I think Manny going after Ventura actually diffuses the situation. Otherwise, Baltimore would be obligated under the "unwritten rules of baseball" to throw at KC's best player. At this point, I don't think Baltimore does that. KC's management should be sending presents to Manny.

Totally agree, not to mention it makes the most sense. The guy plunking and the guy getting plunked should be the ones working it out. Not Tillman and some unlucky Royal.

It sucks it had to be Manny, but it's done.

Totally agree, not to mention it makes the most sense. The guy plunking and the guy getting plunked should be the ones working it out. Not Tillman and some unlucky Royal.

It sucks it had to be Manny, but it's done.

Yeah, FP Santangelo (Nats tv color man who said he loves how Manny handled it) brought up the point that the DH rule allows AL pitchers to throw at batters with impunity.

Looking at the video it seems clear Trumbo was going at KC as well. How long will Trumbo's suspension be, because I bet he gets one. Also, would the O's play some tricks to make sure that the two wouldn't have to serve their suspensions at the same time, like appealing Manny's but not appealing Trumbo's?

Looking at the video it seems clear Trumbo was going at KC as well. How long will Trumbo's suspension be, because I bet he gets one. Also, would the O's play some tricks to make sure that the two wouldn't have to serve their suspensions at the same time, like appealing Manny's but not appealing Trumbo's?

I don't see it. I've checked and rechecked. All I saw is that he got tangled up with someone as the pile was moving. Nothing remotely fine worthy.

Archived