Best win of season

eddie83

Best win of the season? I think that might overstate the case. Here are the ones I'd put at the top, in chronological order:

4/04 -- Walk-off win on opening day, 3-2.

4/20 -- Walk-off win against Toronto in extra innings, 4-3.

5/05 -- Walk-off win against the Yankees in extra innings, 1-0.

5/21 -- Come from behind win on Wieters' HR with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th vs. Angels, 3-1

6/01 -- Crazy slugfest win vs. Boston, 13-9, where the lead changed several times

6/03 -- 6-5 comeback victory vs. Yankees after long rain delay

I'm sure there are others, considering we've won 20 games that we were trailing at some point.

I think I'd have to go with the June 1 win vs. Boston as the best win of the year. We desperately needed that one, and it ignited the current run in which we've won 8 of 9. Just as a reminder of how that game went:

- Sox took a 1-0 lead in the top of the 1st

- O's went ahead 4-1 in the bottom of the 1st

- Sox tied it in the top of the 2nd 4-4.

- O's took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the 2nd.

- Sox scored 3 in the top of the 3rd to take a 7-5 lead and Wright was yanked.

- O's scored 3 in the bottom of the 3rd to take an 8-7 lead.

- Boston tied it up in the top of the 6th 8-8.

- O's answered with 2 runs I the bottom of the 6th to lead 10-8.

- O's scored 3 in the 7th to expand the lead to 13-8.

- Sox hit a leadoff HR in the 8th to narrow lead to 13-9, O'Day allowed 2 more runners, Britton came in and loaded the bases with Ortiz coming to the plate, and Ortiz grounded out.

- Britton held on to the lead in the 9th.

That game was nuts, and the team has gone crazy ever since.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this game due to the circumstances. There were other great wins including beating Price in the Sox home opener. Last week beating Boston you could argue was more important but last night the odds were stacked against them early on.

Tonight's 3-2 win over Boston was right up there among the best wins of the year for me. We beat David Price on a night when he had dominant stuff. Tillman matched him. Givens opened the door a crack but Britton slammed it shut. And we go one game up on Boston in the AL East.

It's great to be able to storm back against relievers and tiring starters, and we know this team can do that. We also know the bullpen can hold a lead in the late innings, especially when O'Day is around. But to jump out to an early lead and have a starter hold on to it against a potent offense, despite a high pitch count, was terrific and novel. Wish we had more than one SP who's capable of it.

It's great to be able to storm back against relievers and tiring starters, and we know this team can do that. We also know the bullpen can hold a lead in the late innings, especially when O'Day is around. But to jump out to an early lead and have a starter hold on to it against a potent offense, despite a high pitch count, was terrific and novel. Wish we had more than one SP who's capable of it.

If they had another Tillman in the rotation, they would win 100 games, easy.

Tonight's 3-2 win over Boston was right up there among the best wins of the year for me. We beat David Price on a night when he had dominant stuff. Tillman matched him. Givens opened the door a crack but Britton slammed it shut. And we go one game up on Boston in the AL East.

I only had gameday on my phone and it was a great game. I'm just now watching the replay and just saw Manny's HR. Pesky Pole! :rofl: I almost feel sorry for Price.

Wow, I needed tonight's victory because of the disastrous game that happened Sunday. Chris Tillman fought off the first inning problems and held off the Red Sox with a little help from his defense. Zach Britton was lights out during his 5 out save.

Then there was our offense coming through when needed.

Tillman looked great yesterday, just dominant.

I love Buck bringing in Zach to face Ortiz, and then go on for the 5-out save. That was great use of an all-star closer, and they still have Brach completely fresh.

I don't know if it was my favorite game (Frobby named some great ones), but this was a lot of fun.

Another honorable mention game: Mother's Day, 5/8/16:

Orioles crush Oakland 11-3.

O's drill six homers.

Manny hits two, including a grand slam.

Trumbo falls a double short of the cycle.

Tillman with a quality start.

(My favorite of the four games I've seen in person so far this year)

Plus, think of all the fans who'd pay to see Tillman stand next to his identical clone, and the controversy that would spawn.

And I wonder if that clone - let's moniker him "Silly" - started to lose command (Ubaldo-like). Would we as fans then turn on him and want him banned to the BP after a small sample size? :scratchchinhmm:

But back to the Frobby update, how about young Jon with the big fly heading over the Monstuh into the night? That warmed my cockles and made Zach's job a bit easier, relatively speaking, when the Sawx crawled back into it later. :clap3:

• 4 weeks later...

Posted on June 10:

Best win of the season? I think that might overstate the case. Here are the ones I'd put at the top, in chronological order:

4/04 -- Walk-off win on opening day, 3-2.

4/20 -- Walk-off win against Toronto in extra innings, 4-3.

5/05 -- Walk-off win against the Yankees in extra innings, 1-0.

5/21 -- Come from behind win on Wieters' HR with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th vs. Angels, 3-1

6/01 -- Crazy slugfest win vs. Boston, 13-9, where the lead changed several times

6/03 -- 6-5 comeback victory vs. Yankees after long rain delay

Certainly yesterday's Dodgers game belongs on the list. I don't think I see any others since June 10 that was quite as exciting as these, though any win is a good one.

Another all heart game. What a great win this was. Nice way to start the trip.

Don't tell me these O's ain't got no heart ...... you just gotta poke around.

[video=youtube;8lCMUkqpI7o]

Archived