Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He is still very young, and I am sure, that nerves was there.

I love the makeup and poise of this kid, and expect big things from him.

My bet within the next 5 years, he will have the Orioles next no-hitter.

He is 23 so I wouldn't say "very" young but I see your point.  The TJ surgery just sets things back so much.  I am glad it happened before the arbitration clock started.  He could be huge for us going forward.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy was in a similar situation in 2016. He threw 109 MLB IP. 

Exactly.  

From 2005-2009, the average player making his major-league debut was 24.4 years old (taking the average of their seasonal ages)

So if he didn't debut until next year it would be "average".  

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bundy was in a similar situation in 2016. He threw 109 MLB IP. 

Somewhat similar, but Bundy had done some pitching in A+ and AA (and a couple innings in the majors), and was out of options.   Harvey’s been used less and at lower levels.    

13 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Seriously? It's going to be hard to send down a guy that's thrown 30 innings in the last two years, none above low A ball?

People are really grasping for straws now.

I’d agree with you if it wasn’t for Buck basically leaving the door open to him going north.

“Ask me after today,” Showalter said, “but I think he’s got a chance to make it a little tough on us. We’ll see.”

Buck also mentioned his makeup and him not being overwhelmed by the situation like some others may be.

There’s something special about today.

“Oh sure there is,” Showalter said. “If he wins the tie-breaker, I’m OK with that accusation. And he deserves it. The kid’s been through a lot.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/notes-on-gausman-hays-tillman-castro-and-more.html

If he’s in Norfolk to start he may be first guy up.

Still, doubtful it happens if only for the sake of controlling his future years. The way the Orioles operate they almost have to make that a consideration more so than addressing the needs of the ML club.

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would not risk sacrificing Harvey's future for the 2018 season.

You think a hard innings cap precludes him from being injured again, at least for this year?

Edited by Il BuonO
Added quotes

31 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d agree with you if it wasn’t for Buck basically leaving the door open to him going north.

“Ask me after today,” Showalter said, “but I think he’s got a chance to make it a little tough on us. We’ll see.”

Buck also mentioned his makeup and him not being overwhelmed by the situation like some others may be.

There’s something special about today.

“Oh sure there is,” Showalter said. “If he wins the tie-breaker, I’m OK with that accusation. And he deserves it. The kid’s been through a lot.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/02/notes-on-gausman-hays-tillman-castro-and-more.html

If he’s in Norfolk to start he may be first guy up.

Still, doubtful it happens if only for the sake of controlling his future years. The way the Orioles operate they almost have to make that a consideration more so than addressing the needs of the ML club.

You think a hard innings cap precludes him from being injured again, at least for this year?

I’m not particularly a hard innings cap guy, although I doubt turning him loose to throw as many innings as he earns is a good idea.

The hurting his future statement doesn’t necessarily mean injury, it could also stunt the development of his changeup and kill a year of service time before he’s ready. 

Just leave him in the minors and get him ready to compete for a 2019 rotation spot.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I’m not particularly a hard innings cap guy, although I doubt turning him loose to throw as many innings as he earns is a good idea.

The hurting his future statement doesn’t necessarily mean injury, it could also stunt the development of his changeup and kill a year of service time before he’s ready. 

Just leave him in the minors and get him ready to compete for a 2019 rotation spot.

I agree, but I thought the comments by Buck were provocative. If he’s called up it probably shouldn’t be until September. That way, he can work on the CH and anything else he needs to improve. They can still give him abbreviated starts and limit his innings while keeping his health at the forefront of his progression.

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I agree, but I thought the comments by Buck were provocative. If he’s called up it probably shouldn’t be until September. That way, he can work on the CH and anything else he needs to improve. They can still give him abbreviated starts and limit his innings while keeping his health at the forefront of his progression.

I also feel like Buck was talking up Hunter publicly to give Hunter a boost. The kid's had a lot of setbacks, and Buck wants him to focus on the positives now and the future.  I can't imagine he'll be with the club unless as a late season call-up, and even then, I'm sure his innings/pitch counts will be limited throughout the season to a degree.

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He looked pretty good in the highlights. Precedent has been set. Each player has had their own set of unique circumstances but Schoop, Bundy, Gausman, and maybe even Machado, we’re all called up a half season “too early”. If he earns it there is nothing wrong with letting him give it a go out of ST. 

The guy has overcame a lot. Sending him down if he doesn’t work out won’t destroy him.

3 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

I also feel like Buck was talking up Hunter publicly to give Hunter a boost. The kid's had a lot of setbacks, and Buck wants him to focus on the positives now and the future.  I can't imagine he'll be with the club unless as a late season call-up, and even then, I'm sure his innings/pitch counts will be limited throughout the season to a degree.

Yup, could have just been Buck pulling some strings, not a bad idea.