Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

o

After ceding a one-out Triple Harvey struck out Adam Eaton, walked the Anthony Rendon And Juan Soto, and then stranded the bases loaded by striking out Asdrubal Cabrera.

3 OUTS: ) 2 Strikeouts, 1 Groundout

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 8/27)

IP:ll.1

H:lllll 1 ) (1 Triple)

R:lllll 0

BB:lll2

SO:ll.2

Pitches: )l 33 (19 )Strikes,  )14 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 0.00  )l  4.00 IP  (0 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 1.250  )l  4.00 P  (5 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .143 )l (2 for 14)

PITCHES BY INNING

33 ll(19 llStrikes, lll14 lllBalls)

o

I have to say it... it was pretty reckless of Hyde to keep Harvey out there for 30+ pitches in an inning. His FB was good but he was laboring through the tough part of the lineup. He should’ve been pulled after Rendon. Instead he faced Soto and then Cabrera. 

Hyde is kind of an idiot for that. 

Hyde was the only guy willing to take the job and I can’t wait till he’s gone. He’s nothing more than Bo Porter 2.0. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have to say it... it was pretty reckless of Hyde to keep Harvey out there for 30+ pitches in an inning. His FB was good but he was laboring through the tough part of the lineup. He should’ve been pulled after Rendon. Instead he faced Soto and then Cabrera. 

Hyde was the only guy willing to take the job and I can’t wait till he’s gone. He’s nothing more than Bo Porter 2.0. 

What’s your logic for calling it idiotic?

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Only threw 2 so far. They were bad. Needs something slower than a 91 mph change maybe?

No, he doesn’t. Zach Greinke was throwing a CH (87 mph) only a few miles down from what his FB (91/92 mph) was a couple years ago. 

What’s more important is that it’s action (armside run, tumbling away from a LHB) is good (it was). Now, he needs to be consistent. 

I also am not certain he’s done with starting. Despite his enthusiasm, he doesn’t decide. 

48 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I thought it was brilliant. Got a chance to see what he’s made of in that type of situation. 

He was a starter. Do you really think 30 pitches for one day is putting him at risk? Heck, for how often he’s been injured maybe they should have him on a strict 10 pitch per inning limit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Only threw 2 so far. They were bad. Needs something slower than a 91 mph change maybe?

He has a curveball, (the 83 mph pitch) it can be very good at times, he’s be facing a lot of lefties so he hasn’t been throwing it much. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With a post like this and you are calling Hyde the idiot?

The man has more baseball sense coming out of his used socks than you do coming out of your keyboard

5 hours ago, AceKing said:

With a post like this and you are calling Hyde the idiot?

The man has more baseball sense coming out of his used socks than you do coming out of your keyboard

Oh jeez, the classic response. Let me ask you this,

Why are we on a message board talking about baseball if we can’t question decisions?  

Here’s the logic behind it... There’s usually a hard rule in the minors that you don’t let a P throw 30-35 pitches in a single inning. Especially in relief.

Harvey’s barely pitched in 5 years, why get into any risky scenario with him?????

What did we learn from this outing?  That Harvey can get players like Parra and Cabrera out, but then pitch around everyone else?  Some big learning experience. 

Harvey should have been pulled after Rendon. He was at 25 pitches and was starting to show a dip in velo. 99-100 to 96-97 on the FB. 

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it’s irresponsible and idiotic, to have any P throw 33 pitches in an inning. Especially when they are a prospect and have been injury plagued. In a meaningless game.

If you disagree with that, well then I guess you read Dusty Baker’s “how to” book. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why are we on a message board talking about baseball if we can’t question decisions?  

Here’s the logic behind it... There’s usually a hard rule in the minors that you don’t let a P throw 30-35 pitches in a single inning. Especially in relief.

Harvey’s barely pitched in 5 years, why get into any risky scenario with him?????

What did we learn from this outing?  That Harvey can get players like Parra and Cabrera out, but then pitch around everyone else?  Some big learning experience. 

Harvey should have been pulled after Rendon. He was at 25 pitches and was starting to show a dip in velo. 99-100 to 96-97 on the FB. 

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. I think it’s irresponsible and idiotic, to have any P throw 33 pitches in an inning. Especially when they are a prospect and have been injury plagued. In a meaningless game.

If you disagree with that, well then I guess you read Dusty Baker’s “how to” book. 

I think you have good point but your language is a little strong.   Hyde has done well in a tough situation this year.  He and Elias seem on the same page.   If Elias agrees with what Hyde did with Harvey tonight then that is two really good baseball minds at work. If Elias does not agree then I am sure he will tell Hyde.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think you have good point but your language is a little strong.   Hyde has done well in a tough situation this year.  He and Elias seem on the same page.   If Elias agrees with what Hyde did with Harvey tonight then that is two really good baseball minds at work. If Elias does not agree then I am sure he will tell Hyde.

Sorry for calling him an idiot.

What about Hyde’s decision to leave DJ Stewart in the game as well?

Just to point out the irony... Calling Hyde an idiot is “too tough”, but Hyde risking our players physical health is just “testing them”.   

Hyde also got into a very public dust up with Chris Davis. I guess that’s ok because it’s the whipping boy Chris Davis. 

Let’s just say Hyde isn’t making the best of decisions over the last couple of weeks. 

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Question away.  But I'd hope we can do that in a rational manner.  You act like 10 additional pitches in an inning is the difference between a solid manager and someone who only has the job because he was flat dumb enough to hitch his career to a floundering franchise.

This isn't a black-and-white on-off switch.  Managing isn't a series of logic gates, all OR'd together, and if one gets tripped it's firing time.  It's more like a collection of heat maps, all quasi-subjectively defined.  Last night Hyde ventured a tiny bit into a red area of your personal heat map for pitcher use and WHAM he's an idiot who couldn't be gone fast enough.

Hyde seems like a pretty reasonable, decent guy who was selected by a smart GM to help the team get through rebuilding.  He might be a caretaker manager, he might not be around for the next good O's team, but we don't know that for sure.  And I'm quite confident that the O's had way more applicants for his job than they could interview.  It's one of 30 major league managerial positions making $hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, with no expectations and pressure to win.  Almost every minor league manager and half of every major league coaching staff would have taken the position.

• Upvote 1