2016 3rd Round Pick - Austin Hays - OF - Jacksonville University Florida

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Guess who's back in the lineup today... <a href="https://t.co/xpnv2hnlhd">pic.twitter.com/xpnv2hnlhd</a></p>— Aberdeen IronBirds (@IronBirds) <a href="

">August 7, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cZIdBsCx6QU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Admittedly it's a small sample size. But in the video it looks like Hays has roughly 4.0 speed to first after contact. On the double he makes it to second in just over 7 seconds. I would have timed it better but I don't have a stop watch handy.

I got 4.13

Have not heard him as a double-plus speed guy, but if true that certainly makes him a center field candidate and changes the value calculus.

Have not heard him as a double-plus speed guy, but if true that certainly makes him a center field candidate and changes the value calculus.

I have no idea what the scout times are, but he's really fast. They seem to like him better in RF though. His jumps and routes to the ball look to need work. He doesn't look effortless in the field, if that makes sense.

I have no idea what the scout times are, but he's really fast. They seem to like him better in RF though. His jumps and routes to the ball look to need work. He doesn't look effortless in the field, if that makes sense.

h-1st from right side:

4.0 -- 80/Elite

4.1 -- 70/Double-Plus

4.2 -- 60/Plus

4.3 -- 50/Average

Depending on how you work that can get bumped up or down depending on routes on the bases and some cool things you can do with h-2nd and 1st-3rd times. OF playable usually H-1st times through filter of eye-test (routes to ball, ground covered, tracking back and left/right).

Your description definitely makes sense re: "doesn't look effortless in the field."

h-1st from right side:

4.0 -- 80/Elite

4.1 -- 70/Double-Plus

4.2 -- 60/Plus

4.3 -- 50/Average

Depending on how you work that can get bumped up or down depending on routes on the bases and some cool things you can do with h-2nd and 1st-3rd times. OF playable usually H-1st times through filter of eye-test (routes to ball, ground covered, tracking back and left/right).

Your description definitely makes sense re: "doesn't look effortless in the field."

Remember when Tom Goodwin came up with the Dodgers? He had some crazy number after contact like 3.7-3.8 seconds.

Give him some time, I think once he grows comfortable with his body and isn't awkward like every teenager or young man ever, then I think he'll be good in the field.

Give him some time, I think once he grows comfortable with his body and isn't awkward like every teenager or young man ever, then I think he'll be good in the field.

Well, I'm not saying he's bad - at all. Just not effortless and CF ready.

• 4 weeks later...
Tebow might be a big hit with Aussies because I don't view him as a serious player but rather a glorified PR stunt. Seriously isn't Australia more of a Mickey Mouse caliber league, maybe a notch above beer league ball? Would rather see a nice prospect like Hays challenged in AZ.

The Australian winter league is the replacement for the Hawaiian winter league, which is where Wieters played one year.

There are restrictions on what players can participate in the AZ fall league.

Tebow going would be an embarrassment and an affront to actual minor league ballplayers.

Tebow might be a big hit with Aussies because I don't view him as a serious player but rather a glorified PR stunt. Seriously isn't Australia more of a Mickey Mouse caliber league, maybe a notch above beer league ball? Would rather see a nice prospect like Hays challenged in AZ.

Top Australian League teams could easily beat top AZ league teams. Pitching and catching are more advanced.

Top Australian League teams could easily beat top AZ league teams. Pitching and catching are more advanced.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dNjpoGl8QOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a look for those who have not seen.

Archived