Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

Look how long it took Tillman and Arrieta to figure it out. Gausman still has room to grow, he hasn't hit his ceiling. He's been pitching well prior to last night (to the tune of a 3.45 ERA). Last night was one bad game. He needs to keep pitching, and keep growing. He's still only 25 years old with 53 starts under his belt. And he's yet to spend an entire season in the major league rotation. Patience, folks.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Current day Tillman? I guess that just means the one who is pitching really well. Did Chris Tillaman develop mental toughness over the winter or just get in better shape and develop a consistent slider?

Last year, Tillman had SEVEN starts when he went less than 5 innings and gave up at least 5 runs.

2.2 IP 7 ER

4.1 IP 7 ER

4.2 IP 5 ER

1.1 IP 6 ER

2.1 IP 5 ER

4.2 IP 7 ER

3.0 IP 6 ER

I'm pretty sure that Chris Tillman was just as mentally tough last year as he is this year. Gausman doesn't have a mental or attitude issue. He has a pitching issue. He needs to pitch better. He has the ability. He needs to get more consistent with his pitches and his command. Sounds simple but it's not. Hopefully, experience will help. I do agree that patience is the answer. Please, don't anyone quote this post. VaTech doesn't want to see it.

Oh please. Tillman's problem never was a mental one. He threw 2.5 seasons prior to last season that were good to very good and was probably battling injuries last season and his command suffered. Comparing Gausman to

Tillman in regards to mental toughness doesn't even make sense. Gausman has always struggled with keeping his head in the game and it manifested itself in the first game of the season and several after that.

He's had tons of time to improve his slider/curveball, but he hasn't. He at least had a full offseason to do it and it hasn't improved AT ALL this season. It's the same crap pitch it was last year, so what does that say about

Gausman? Either he's not interested in developing it or he's not capable and is in love with his fastball which now gets hammered. He hasn't really gotten any better than he was last season. He's still the same guy and the

result reflect that. Same two pitch pitcher and the same mental instability that makes him pout, throw fits and throw up and in on guys intentionally on occasion. His body language last night when he was getting hit all

over the park was awful.

Current day Tillman? I guess that just means the one who is pitching really well. Did Chris Tillaman develop mental toughness over the winter or just get in better shape and develop a consistent slider?

Last year, Tillman had SEVEN starts when he went less than 5 innings and gave up at least 5 runs.

2.2 IP 7 ER

4.1 IP 7 ER

4.2 IP 5 ER

1.1 IP 6 ER

2.1 IP 5 ER

4.2 IP 7 ER

3.0 IP 6 ER

I'm pretty sure that Chris Tillman was just as mentally tough last year as he is this year. Gausman doesn't have a mental or attitude issue. He has a pitching issue. He needs to pitch better. He has the ability. He needs to get more consistent with his pitches and his command. Sounds simple but it's not. Hopefully, experience will help. I do agree that patience is the answer. Please, don't anyone quote this post. VaTech doesn't want to see it.

I think you should also post who those "Melt Downs" were against.

Hard to learn when you can just throw 97 past minor leaguers. Now he can't do that in the majors.

Yet it wasn't like he threw a no hitter or dominated in the minors like I recall Tillman did when he was sent down. Seems to me he is mentally soft for some reason and possibly not the smartest guy to take the mound either.

I think the current expectations for Gausman are way too high.

He's been hammered in a couple outings against the Red Sox's league best offense. He has a 3.00 ERA against everyone else. I think he's been pretty good. We should not be expecting him to be an ace right now. A solid mid-rotation starter is all he is right now and all he can be expected to be until he proves solid command of three pitches.

I think the current expectations for Gausman are way too high.

He's been hammered in a couple outings against the Red Sox's league best offense. He has a 3.00 ERA against everyone else. I think he's been pretty good. We should not be expecting him to be an ace right now. A solid mid-rotation starter is all he is right now and all he can be expected to be until he proves solid command of three pitches.

I don't see how he can be called solid when the season is more than a third over and he has yet to even win a game.

I don't see how he can be called solid when the season is more than a third over and he has yet to even win a game.

His lack of wins has mostly to do with the team's offense in the games he has pitched. He has a 4.14 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP. 8.1 K per 9. His numbers are not bad, especially when adjusting for the division we play in. He is also coming off his worst start of the year.

He has pitched like a # 3 starter, which is all he can be expected to be right now.

His lack of wins has mostly to do with the team's offense in the games he has pitched. He has a 4.14 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP. 8.1 K per 9. His numbers are not bad, especially when adjusting for the division we play in. He is also coming off his worst start of the year.

He has pitched like a # 3 starter, which is all he can be expected to be right now.

I would say he is more of a dissapointment than solid non-withstanding. Would you call Sidney Ponson solid? That is who Gausman sort of reminds me of.

Part of the problem is that he hasn't really improved in his time in the majors. ERA is up from rookie year, his peripherals are only slightly better than 2014, and his breaking ball has not made any progress at all. For me, it's not so much of a question that he's contributing, it's just that he isn't really progressing very much. If a #3-4 type starter is what he is, then fine I'll take that going forward. But Gausman was supposed to be a staff anchor...

I would say he is more of a dissapointment than solid non-withstanding. Would you call Sidney Ponson solid? That is who Gausman sort of reminds me of.

Ponson did have a couple good years for us, so you will have to let me know which year are referring to.

No, he doesn't remind me of Sidney Ponson. Sidney had command of more pitches. Gausman has better stuff.

He is only a disappointment when your expectations are that he should be a TOR right now. I don't think that was ever a reasonable expectation considering his body of work. If Guas pitches to around a 4 ERA this year and logs 170 innings I will be satisfied.

Ponson did have a couple good years for us, so you will have to let me know which year are referring to.

No, he doesn't remind me of Sidney Ponson. Sidney had command of more pitches. Gausman has better stuff.

He is only a disappointment when your expectations are that he should be a TOR right now. I don't think that was ever a reasonable expectation considering his body of work. If Guas pitches to around a 4 ERA this year and logs 170 innings I will be satisfied.

I mean he reminds me of Ponson in that he should have better results with the stuff he carries. Sidney would dominate usually for three or four innings than inexplicably start throwing fat pitches in the middle if the plate and get hammered. But when he didn't have those type of innings could look almost like TOR starter.

Archived