Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

No, I get it. You understand my post wasn't really a response to you. I believe Buck has faith in Tillman, and as you point out he has a track record. It's nice, though, to see KG fulfilling some of his promise. Watershed moment....

Buck does have faith in Tilly. Tilly is Buck's Ace, despite that some fans do not believe Tilly is an Ace.

He is this team's Ace.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I get it. You understand my post wasn't really a response to you. I believe Buck has faith in Tillman, and as you point out he has a track record. It's nice, though, to see KG fulfilling some of his promise. Watershed moment....

Agreed on KG. I thought he actually threw quite a few good breaking balls in yesterday's game. Per pitch f/x, he threw 15 of them, 13 for strikes, and got 5 whiffs on them. If he could make some progress on the breaking ball, he could make the step from decent to TOR.

Buck does have faith in Tilly. Tilly is Buck's Ace (as well as weams and JustD for that matter) , despite that some fans do not believe Tilly is an Ace.

He is this team's Ace.

Stone Cold Steve - er - Chris Tillman! :thumbsup1:

Agreed on KG. I thought he actually threw quite a few good breaking balls in yesterday's game. Per pitch f/x, he threw 15 of them, 13 for strikes, and got 5 whiffs on them. If he could make some progress on the breaking ball, he could make the step from decent to TOR.

I thought of Kevin Garnett when I read that.

May our K.G. have as long and as distinguished a career in baseball as that K.G. has had in basketball.

Oh brother....

"He's had a great look in his eye for about a month," manager Buck Showalter said. "Not that he hasn't before, it's just there's a real driven look and presence about him. Felt like he's really kind of hit his stride."

"We all want to step up. We all want to be that ace," Gausman said. "Every time I take the mound, I'm thinking of throwing a complete game. You just kind of have to have that attitude, especially with Tilly being down, we know we have one less guy that's going to be a big innings eater for us."

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/199427110/orioles-kevin-gausman-wins-4th-straight-start/

Last 8 starts of 2014, he pitched to a 3.11 ERA. It's not like he hasn't had good stretches before.

Dude just needs to put it together for a whole season. But I'd rather have a guy who can get it together over the final two months than a guy who has issues at the end of a season.

Not that the games at the start of the season are without importance, but since he'd finished well last I thought it was possible. After last season he seemed more confident in where he was at and had more confidence in the CU as opposed to the slider. It's what prompted me to say he'd be our best starter by the end of the season. I didn't expect him to struggle as much with the CU this season but it has been better.

I know some people will disagree, claiming Tillman (if not injured) would be the guy and they may be right, but right now I'd rather have Gausman. I'd like him to get deeper w better efficiency but not much else.

Four wins in a row including one of the road. He still has a losing record, though. Those W/L records really tell the story right?

Not that the games at the start of the season are without importance, but since he'd finished well last I thought it was possible. After last season he seemed more confident in where he was at and had more confidence in the CU as opposed to the slider. It's what prompted me to say he'd be our best starter by the end of the season. I didn't expect him to struggle as much with the CU this season but it has been better.

I know some people will disagree, claiming Tillman (if not injured) would be the guy and they may be right, but right now I'd rather have Gausman. I'd like him to get deeper w better efficiency but not much else.

Four wins in a row including one of the road. He still has a losing record, though. Those W/L records really tell the story right?

It's nice to see wins but he had a 4.34 ERA in 8 starts from June 5th to July 18th. 8 starts since then, he's pitching to a 3.09 ERA.

I'd like him to be more efficient too, but if he keeps throwing like he did tonight through the end of the month that'd be great.

I did not get to watch last night's game, but it sounds like he was able to use his breaking ball well once again. I think that's the difference between him being a 3/4 or being TOR. Hopefully this can be one of those things where he builds confidence in his repertoire and the batters really have to defend against four pitches (fastball, splitter, change-up and breaking ball). If he can throw quality strikes with all of them he can be deadly.

Pitch f/x says he threw 12 "sliders," 6 for strikes, got 5 swings and 4 whiffs.

Archived