Better Career, Wilson or Wright?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilson's 90 MPH fastball may limit how much of a career he has going forward. Still, if he doesn't lose velocity then I would guess he''ll have the better career, since he understands the importance of offspeed pitches. Unlike Gausman or Wright.

88-90 MPH is just fine, if you have very good control and can keep the hitters off balance with a big difference in slow stuff and heater.

88-90 MPH is just fine, if you have very good control and can keep the hitters off balance with a big difference in slow stuff and heater.

Greg Maddux dominated throwing 88-90. Of course he also threw about 26 different pitches with crazy movement and pinpoint control

Greg Maddux dominated throwing 88-90. Of course he also threw about 26 different pitches with crazy movement and pinpoint control

That is the one example that is the outlier. HE could hit a thumbtack at 90 mph. All other pitchers including Tyler Wilson cannot. Wilson is not necessarily even a control pitcher.

That is the one example that is the outlier. HE could hit a thumbtack at 90 mph. All other pitchers including Tyler Wilson cannot. Wilson is not necessarily even a control pitcher.

I'm glad I got to watch him some growing up. Was a real treat. Maddux and Martinez - it didn't get any better in my lifetime. And they did it in the heart of the steroid era...

This isnt the 70's. Unless he adds a knuckler or starts throwing nasty breaking pitches. Any loss in velocity is going to hurt Wilson going forward. Lets just hope the Orioles get 4-5 years of effective starting pitching.

We had a pretty damn good one here in Mussina. :)

I have always been a big Mussina fan, even as a Yankee. But let's be realistic here, at their peaks Mussina wasn't in the same league as those two.

Mike Wright is Tommy Hunter to me minus the first few good years as a starter. He's a mid to late inning reliever with Plus velocity but lacks really good command and throws a pretty straight fastball. That being said, Tommy Hunter was pretty solid. But, I see that as his ceiling. Wilson on the other hand reminds me of a Rodrigo Lopez type. Could have a few solid years, but he knows how to pitch so maybe he'll surprise. Can't get away with bad command days though.

I would have to disagree.

Those 2 are HOF, and even Maddux believes Mussina belongs in the HOF.

Okay, I respect that.

At their peaks Martinez and Maddux were much better that Mussina - the stats bare this out. Mussina had an ERA+ over 150 twice, Maddux 9 times (including 2 over 200), and Martinez 9 times (5 times over 200).

Okay, I respect that.

At their peaks Martinez and Maddux were much better that Mussina - the stats bare this out. Mussina had an ERA+ over 150 twice, Maddux 9 times (including 2 over 200), and Martinez 9 times (5 times over 200).

All three were pretty darn good at their peak, yes, I would give the edge to Maddux and Pedro. But, you said Mussina didn't belong with them, and he does.

He has a career WAR of 82.7.

All three were pretty darn good at their peak, yes, I would give the edge to Maddux and Pedro. But, you said Mussina didn't belong with them, and he does.

He has a career WAR of 82.7.

I'm not trying to take anything away from The Moose, I'm a huge fan. Maddux and Martinez were just beyond top shelf.

Archived