Better Career, Wilson or Wright?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question. Hopefully they both mature into good pitchers (obviously), but to answer the question, I'd say Wilson (and I would've said that before last night). Wright has the more electric stuff, but I'm not sure he has it between the ears. Wilson doesn't have the 97 mph fastball, but he can still get into the low 90's, and I think he's a guy who has an idea of how to pitch, not just throw. I also think he'll continue to get better as he learns how to pitch more and more. That said, IF Wright learns to harness his emotions and learns how to actually pitch, he could be an absolute stud. I'm just not sure that'll ever happen.

Think Wilson is more likely to have 3-4 years as a 5th starter/swingman type. If the O's had another option, I think Wright would've already transitioned to a power reliever role with hopes of him turning into a Jim Johnson type in the pen. Hopefully Bundy and Wright switch roles next year.

Which one will have a better career when all is said and done' date=' in you opinion?[/quote']

Wilson is a gamer, like Buck said, "he has won every where he's been", I'll take Wilson.

With that said, if MR Wrong can get his head WRIGHT he's got all the intangibles to be really good. My gut says Wright is going to end up a good reliever.

I said earlier this season that Wilson will be the kind of guy that routinely goes 5-6 IP and allows anywhere from 2-4 ER. Probably settles in as a low to mid 4 ERA kind of guy.

Wright is the kind of guy that will have electric peripherals, but wild swings.

Seems to me it's the "intangibles" that Wright is missing. The arm talent is certainly there.

I think Wright will eventually get it together, and have the better career.

I like Wilson more. I hope they both stick in the rotation.

Seems to me it's the "intangibles" that Wright is missing. The arm talent is certainly there.

I think Wright will eventually get it together, and have the better career.

I like Wilson more. I hope they both stick in the rotation.

If by "intangibles", you mean "command".....then yes.

If by "intangibles", you mean "command".....then yes.

The post you're responding to was a response to post #5 in this thread. The quote didn't work out.

I meant his ability to control his emotion and stay even keel. Which may or may not have an effect on his command at certain points of a ball game.

I say that it's too early to determine. They are both rookies (or is one of them technically not a rookie?) Both show promise if management doesn't completely screw up their development by shuttling them between starting and relieving and/or putting either of them excessively on the Norfolk Express. Right now, I like Wilson a bit better, but that might change.

I'm going to the game tonight, so I can see Wright in person.

Wilson's 90 MPH fastball may limit how much of a career he has going forward. Still, if he doesn't lose velocity then I would guess he''ll have the better career, since he understands the importance of offspeed pitches. Unlike Gausman or Wright.

Archived