Sell high on Wieters?

FanSince88

Before this Draft the O's had legit prospects in Cisco, Reyes, Harvey, Mountcastle, Lee, Heim and Mancini. They just drafted 41 guys. Dan will have two more drafts before his contract is up. I think with the 3 drafts and the guys we have now it is far from certain we will have a sparse farm system.

And he's forfeited three picks (four if you include Davis), traded one and sold two. He's traded international slot money. The prospects you name still put the O's in the bottom 15% on the prospects lists.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And he's forfeited three picks (four if you include Davis), traded one and sold two. He's traded international slot money. The prospects you name still put the O's in the bottom 15% on the prospects lists.

How did he forfeit 4 picks? He lost one pick when Jiminez was signed but got it back when Cruz left. He lost one for Gallardo but got a pick back for Chen. So I see zero picks forfeited.

No, what I want to do is continue winning after Dan leaves.

Currently the O's look like they are going to be saddled with an old, relatively expensive team and a sparse farm system when Dan's contract is up.

The Orioles remind me a lot of the Fielder/Braun Brewers teams. The Brewers mortgaged their future and unloaded top prospects in an effort to win immediately. They traded away Escobar, Odorizzi and Cain to get Greinke. They also traded Michael Brantley and a few other prospects for two months of C.C. Sabathia. Those deals helped them make two playoff appearances but they've been mired in mediocrity since. With the direction they're heading, I see a similar future for the Orioles.

How did he forfeit 4 picks? He lost one pick when Jiminez was signed but got it back when Cruz left. He lost one for Gallardo but got a pick back for Chen. So I see zero picks forfeited.

He lost one for Jiminez.

He lost one for Cruz.

He lost one for Gallardo.

It could be argued he lost one for Davis.

He gets no bonus points for placing a QO on Cruz and Chen.

The Orioles remind me a lot of the Fielder/Braun Brewers teams. The Brewers mortgaged their future and unloaded top prospects in an effort to win immediately. They traded away Escobar, Odorizzi and Cain to get Greinke. They also traded Michael Brantley and a few other prospects for two months of C.C. Sabathia. Those deals helped them make two playoff appearances but they've been mired in mediocrity since. With the direction they're heading, I see a similar future for the Orioles.

That probably is a better comp than the Phillies.

He lost one for Jiminez.

He lost one for Cruz.

He lost one for Gallardo.

It could be argued he lost one for Davis.

He gets no bonus points for placing a QO on Cruz and Chen.

You failed logic. He lost a second a second on signing Cruz but he got a first when Cruz left and that is a negative. And he gets no credit for signing Chen to a very team friendly deal and getting a first when he leaves.

And how did he lose a first when signing Davis. Even with the worst faulty logic it was still Angelos who wanted Davis signed.

Come on you are better than this.

No way you trade Matt, it would mess with team chemistry. But really I just want to say that

I like the looks of Pena(!) and this seems like a good thread to say that. Anyone else got a good feeling about Pena?

I do.

You failed logic. He lost a second a second on signing Cruz but he got a first when Cruz left and that is a negative. And he gets no credit for signing Chen to a very team friendly deal and getting a first when he leaves.

And how did he lose a first when signing Davis. Even with the worst faulty logic it was still Angelos who wanted Davis signed.

Come on you are better than this.

Sure I'll give him credit for signing Chen, was a great contract. I liked the deal at the time and never said otherwise.

But you just tried to count the pick for Cruz twice.

No, what I want to do is continue winning after Dan leaves.

Currently the O's look like they are going to be saddled with an old, relatively expensive team and a sparse farm system when Dan's contract is up.

Who do they have under contract post DD besides Davis and O'Day?

I've appreciated the replies about this hypothetical idea, which have brought some interesting clarity to this issue.

From what I've gathered, the only remotely realistic option for a one-to-one trade involving Wieters is to ship him to the Mets for Wheeler. However, given Wheeler's current injured status, I would not support that. Obviously, being 4 games up and nearing the AS break, there's no way I'd want to trade a contributor to the ML club unless we got an immediate contributor back. It probably wouldn't be a bad deal if we were at .500.

There is one other option, however unlikely: a three way deal. It would go like this:

a) We trade Wieters to a contender for an A prospect at any position.

b) We forward that A prospect the contender gave us on to a non-contender in exchange for a minimum #4 ML SP, maximum #2.

Clearly the likelihood of this happening is extremely remote, and I wouldn't fault the FO for not putting a deal like this together. But if they would happen to make such a deal, I would probably support it. Thinking ahead to the playoffs, were we to acquire a ready-to-go #3 starter in exchange for Wieters, it may be a net gain. If we never have to use Wilson or Ubaldo as starters in a playoff series, and keep Gallardo as a #4 or long relief option, it would be a lot stronger hand than what we have now from a run prevention perspective. And such a deal would also be a good hedge against an injury or serious regression on the part of Gausman or Tillman.

Archived