Sell high on Wieters?

FanSince88

But Jiminez has more WAR last season than Wheeler has in his career. Guy playing in National League in a huge park coming to Camden Yards and American League East might struggle even if he were healthy. Career WHIP 1.34.

Well, Jiminez throws like my grandmother at this point. The fact that he's still on the team shows how desperate we are for anyone who can get outs.

I'll entertain the Wheeler isn't good enough argument. You might be right. I think he's a guy who's more like Gausman - meaning a ton of potential that he'll harness with innings - than say a Mike Wright (not cut out to start at the majors) or Mike Leake (good pitcher, but average at best stuff). If I'm buying Wheeler, I'm hoping he's the stock that's low now but about to hit big. Wieters, on the other hand, is the stock that's past it's peak that you're going to likely have to drop next year anyway. That's also why I prefer this type of trade to a trade for Gray or Teheran, even though I'd love to have all 3 on this team.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt the Mets move Wheeler now that he is just starting his rehab and any team would want to see how he looks first. Wheeler is expected to take Colon's spot in the rotation which ma make him available. Maybe we can work a deal for him.

Mets get Wieters

Orioles get Colon and D'Arnaud

That gives us a young catcher who is major league ready and still cost controlled. That would allow Caleb to split time with him and also give Chance Sisco another year at AAA to develope and give us a reliable starter.

Duquette is not going to trade Wieters as long as this team is contending. Saying that, if we could get a #3 or higher starter for him I'd trade him. Although he's having a nice year, his game calling leaves a lot to be desired ever at this stage in his career where it should be better. He's the best hitting catcher we have obviously, but if we could upgrade the starting pitching I'd move him. I just doubt anyone is going to trade for a rental like Wieters.

Duquette is not going to trade Wieters as long as this team is contending. Saying that, if we could get a #3 or higher starter for him I'd trade him. Although he's having a nice year, his game calling leaves a lot to be desired ever at this stage in his career where it should be better. He's the best hitting catcher we have obviously, but if we could upgrade the starting pitching I'd move him. I just doubt anyone is going to trade for a rental like Wieters.

I agree, but hate that the bolded is true. I really think the Mets would consider it.

And I don't think Wieters is taking a Qualifying Offer next year.

I agree with this part. And I wouldn't trade Wieters given that I doubt very much that an upgrade occurs that would be worth the downside of Joseph/Pena as the starters in a year when we are trying to win a pennant. Plus I think Matt is the epitome of Buck's nugget. I think him taking the QO in large part was due to their relationship which is mutual admiration and a comfort level on both parts. For this reason, I anticipate that the Orioles will resign Matt after the season rather than trade him during it.

Well, Jiminez throws like my grandmother at this point. The fact that he's still on the team shows how desperate we are for anyone who can get outs.

I'll entertain the Wheeler isn't good enough argument. You might be right. I think he's a guy who's more like Gausman - meaning a ton of potential that he'll harness with innings - than say a Mike Wright (not cut out to start at the majors) or Mike Leake (good pitcher, but average at best stuff). If I'm buying Wheeler, I'm hoping he's the stock that's low now but about to hit big. Wieters, on the other hand, is the stock that's past it's peak that you're going to likely have to drop next year anyway. That's also why I prefer this type of trade to a trade for Gray or Teheran, even though I'd love to have all 3 on this team.

That's the thing, though. The Mets are the maybe one team where it makes sense, but why would be dead set on trading away from the big club? We have a lot more options and don't have to nuke the offensive advantage we have at catcher vs. the majority of the league if we go the route of trading pieces at the farm to a seller. Yes, admittedly we don't have a stacked farm system (by many accounts, it's poor), but there's maybe one team that a "Wieters for pitching that represents an upgrade over what we have now" trade makes any bit of potential sense, so I'm not seeing the logic in arguing for that course of action over the former. JMO.

Archived