Sell high on Wieters?

FanSince88

What defensive shortcomings have you seen from Joseph this year? He has a pretty good CS% (35%), which is probably dragged down by the fact that he caught Ubaldo a disproportionate number of times. He has one error and one passed ball. I haven't really seen any glaring defensive issues with him, though he's always been a little weak at preventing wild pitches from getting past him IMO.

Offensively he was having a very poor year, no doubt about it. I'd certainly expect him to do better as the season goes along, though he's clearly an inferior hitter to Wieters.

Interestingly Wieters and Joseph were born within a month of each other. Curtis Joseph should start declining pretty soon. I don't know that he is better than a replacement level player going forward.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should also state that I think Zach Wheeler presents a rare opportunity to obtain a #1-#3 starting pitcher while he's still cheap. I'm willing to take that risk. For us, it could be like the Tigers getting Scherzer year's back.

Interestingly Wieters and Joseph were born within a month of each other. Curtis Joseph should start declining pretty soon. I don't know that he is better than a replacement level player going forward.

Maybe not, but his replacements are 1-2 years away. Sisco should be a little better than replacement level relatively quickly, even without power. His approach is pretty advanced.

I think Buck is a big Wieters' guy and I would be concerned too about the clubhouse chemistry. I have ZERO problem emptying out the farm system to get either Gray or Teheran, who are young, controllable assets that fit into our 3 year window.

I don't think we have the farm system for that, but others may disagree. That type of deal would take a real headliner which I think we lack.

Ok. The case for a trade is we'd have several years of club control and he has high upside as a starter.

The case against is either 1) you're more focused on this year, and would prefer Wieters or 2) you don't really like Wieters.

If we did make this trade, we could always try to resign Wieters in the offseason. I doubt the fact that a pick wouldn't be attached would make much of a difference in his value, which will either be high or medium, and if his value's only medium after this season, I'm not sure he's much of a loss.

I'm too risk adverse to trade for someone that is still injured unless the trade is heavily weighted in my favor.

Hard to imagine Wieters would net a starting pitcher that is a difference maker. Any team that would want Wieters would also be a team going for it, and why would a team like that be willing to give up good starting pitching? Not happening. You hold on to Wieters, maybe even sign him long term.

I agree we don't have a"headliner' like Moncada, but I think we have enough to interest someone like Billy Beane or John Hart. At least I would hope we would make an all out effort at crunch time.

Fair enough. Beane in particular might be willing to take a flyer on potential.

I just disagree with this thread about Wieters. I don't fear losing him. He's had a hot streak lately, but to me he's a pretty good hitter and pretty good defender (arm is plus, rest is not, IMO). I just don't think he's much of a loss and I'm willing to take the risk for a guy like Wheeler.

Fair enough. Beane in particular might be willing to take a flyer on potential.

I just disagree with this thread about Wieters. I don't fear losing him. He's had a hot streak lately, but to me he's a pretty good hitter and pretty good defender (arm is plus, rest is not, IMO). I just don't think he's much of a loss and I'm willing to take the risk for a guy like Wheeler.

That is fine. I just don't think it is necessarily going from a 2 win guy to a 1 win guy, I thin it may be going from a 2 win guy to a -1 win guy.

That is fine. I just don't think it is necessarily going from a 2 win guy to a 1 win guy, I thin it may be going from a 2 win guy to a -1 win guy.

Might be, but I'd rather go from a -50 win pitcher (yes, exhaggeration) to a 2-win pitcher.

I seriously look at this team and think we just might hit enough to make the playoffs. The AL isn't stacked this year. However, I just know that we won't hold up in the post season with our current starters unless every single possible thing goes right. I think we desperately need a guy like Wheeler if we're ever going to win in the post season.

Might be, but I'd rather go from a -50 win pitcher (yes, exhaggeration) to a 2-win pitcher.

I seriously look at this team and think we just might hit enough to make the playoffs. The AL isn't stacked this year. However, I just know that we won't hold up in the post season with our current starters unless every single possible thing goes right. I think we desperately need a guy like Wheeler if we're ever going to win in the post season.

But Jiminez has more WAR last season than Wheeler has in his career. Guy playing in National League in a huge park coming to Camden Yards and American League East might struggle even if he were healthy. Career WHIP 1.34.

Archived