Buck is going to want to sign Trumbo long term

wildcard

Just listening to Buck talk about Trumbo's work habits, power, consistency and Trumbo as a person makes me think Buck will be lobbying to sign Mark long term.

This is not a mid thirties Nelson Cruz. This is a 30 year old (31 next year). He is a major nugget that makes the O's win.

This could be an expensive off season. Manny, Tillman, Trumbo are three players that O's need to locked up. A lot more deferred money coming.

Wieters probably gets a QO again but my guess is the O's are not going 4 or 5 years for a 31 year old catcher. Some team will offer Wieters the years he wants though.

Alvarez and Reimold also seem like free agents that may leave. The O's are more likely to go young with Mancini and Yaz.

JMO, what do you think?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Trumbo and Wieters should get a QO. There is no way Trumbo takes it if he's still close to his current stats.

I would personally not sign Trumbo to a FA contract. If there is one thing that Dan is very good at, it is finding power that will play in Camden yards on the cheap. I would push hard to sign Manny long term.

I think it's more likely that we resign Pedro to be our primary DH at a reasonable rate than it is we lock up Trumbo. I think we throw a QO his way, thank him for his service, and watch him get a solid contract elsewhere. I know Buck likes him, but with CD at first base, Trumbo's still adventurous defense in right, and even Mancini hopefully ready to get some regular ABs next year, I don't see us reupping with Trumbo.

Now if/when we deal Mancini for this year's Scott Feldman, maybe that changes the calculus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on budget constraints, but I see Trumbo as a luxury item compared to other priorities.

Agreed. The O's have to throw $$$ at pitching, pitching, pitchiing this offseason. Extend the QO to Trumbo and pray that someone else offers him stupid $$$.

Agreed. The O's have to throw $$$ at pitching, pitching, pitchiing this offseason. Extend the QO to Trumbo and pray that someone else offers him stupid $$$.

There's no pitching and Free Agent pitching turns out like Ubaldo.

There's no pitching and Free Agent pitching turns out like Ubaldo.

Except that one, or maybe two, one year free agent make good contracts that turn out well.

Two problems:

Figuring out which one of the ten guys is going to hit.

Convincing them to play in Baltimore.

Archived