Austin Hays off to a good start at Aberdeen

Frobby

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sedlock. Wells' numbers and scouting report sounds a lot like Brad Bergesen.

I don't see the similarity in the numbers at all.

Bergesen pitched at Aberdeen at age 19 and posted a 5.70 ERA, 1.451 WHIP, 6.8 K/9.

Wells pitched at Aberdeen at age 19 and has posted a 2.34 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 7.6 K/9.

Wells is also about 5 months younger than Bergesen was when he pitched at Aberdeen.

I will await Tony's comments about whether they have a similar repertoire and if he thinks they are comparable. He saw Wells pitch recently and indicated he would be giving his impressions soon.

Wells also uses his left arm.

Regarding Hayes, they sure are DH'ing him a lot. Maybe his wrist is still bothering him.

McKenna has CF on lock recently - and probably for good reason. He looks great in center, and has a little Adam Jones flair on his throws.

You seem knowledgeable. Where would you rate Hays in our system? Top 100 potential nationally ?

I just go to a lot of minor league games. No way he's in a Top 100. But he's somewhere in our Top 15, depending how you like your rankings. (For me, I like Mckenna's potential better, for example. But Hayes has certainly accomplished more.)

He's in center today.

Who was the last player we had come into to Abderdeen and hit like this? Looking forward to see what Hays can do next year and would like to see him pushed to Frederick to start the season. He will be 21 (nearly 22) when the 2017 season begins.

Might be a guy we see in Baltimore by the end of the season, if things go well.

Hays had 2 hits including a homer tonight. BA to .352, OPS to .950. He's looking like an excellent pick.

Now up to .364 and .974. He's made a very good case for starting next year in Frederick - with Mullens and Gassaway - in the OF. I'm going to have to take some trips up I-270 next year - hopefully to Bowie at some point next summer.

I don't see the similarity in the numbers at all.

Bergesen pitched at Aberdeen at age 19 and posted a 5.70 ERA, 1.451 WHIP, 6.8 K/9.

Wells pitched at Aberdeen at age 19 and has posted a 2.34 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 7.6 K/9.

Wells is also about 5 months younger than Bergesen was when he pitched at Aberdeen.

I will await Tony's comments about whether they have a similar repertoire and if he thinks they are comparable. He saw Wells pitch recently and indicated he would be giving his impressions soon.

Wells throws left handed. Comparison ended.

Wells throws left handed. Comparison ended.

It's been 3 or 4 days since someone beat you to the punch. Since I was the one who made that foolish comp, it was over then. :)

Though in a year or so, I'll likely say he's a lefty version Brad Bergesen. ;)

Now up to .364 and .974. He's made a very good case for starting next year in Frederick - with Mullens and Gassaway - in the OF. I'm going to have to take some trips up I-270 next year - hopefully to Bowie at some point next summer.

A good comp for Hays might be a faster Reimold.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=reimol001nol

Reimold had similar success in Aberdeen. Was a high draft pick. Skipped Delmarva and went straight to Frederick.

A good comp for Hays might be a faster Reimold.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=reimol001nol

Reimold had similar success in Aberdeen. Was a high draft pick. Skipped Delmarva and went straight to Frederick.

His build and arm in RF remind me of Nick. I'm not sure how his speed compares to a young Nolan, but the SB numbers aren't very impressive. He's just four out of seven.

Nolan is/was a much bigger guy.

Archived