Anyone else excited about what Schoop has done?

Oriolesfan4life

Coming into this season, I was not sure what to expect from Schoop after an injury plagued 2015.

But how can you not love what we are seeing? He's on pace for career highs in just about every major category. While I don't necessarily think the .292 average will stay that high, the power is definitely for real. Buck has put him just about everywhere in the lineup and he just continues to rake.

Defensively, is there a 2nd basemen that turns a double play better than him.

Thoughts

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coming into this season, I was not sure what to expect from Schoop after an injury plagued 2015.

But how can you not love what we are seeing? He's on pace for career highs in just about every major category. While I don't necessarily think the .292 average will stay that high, the power is definitely for real. Buck has put him just about everywhere in the lineup and he just continues to rake.

Defensively, is there a 2nd basemen that turns a double play better than him.

Thoughts

He's certainly been overshadowed by the overall team play. He is having a real nice year.

Yes I'm excited about Schoop. His batting avg just keeps climbing. And its not just the double plays, he is playing gold glove second base. His range is from center field to behind Davis at first.

After a 28:1 K:BB ratio in May - he's at 20:6 so far in June. 6 walks in one month is not great - but it's a career high for a single month for Schoop by a wide margin. With his tremendous power and burgeoning contact skills - if he can improve his plate discipline from "unspeakably abysmal" to just "bad" - he could be a perennial all star type player. It's not hard to see him slapping up .850 OPS seasons with plus defense at 2nd base if he can sustain his current level of selectivity. In his best years he could even be a little better than that. I'm not sure the plate discipline he's flashed this month is real and sustainable - but if it is look out.

Schoop has now played 161 games over the last two seasons: .285/.314/.491 with 34 doubles, 28 HR and 82 RBI. That's pretty much the player I expect him to be going forward, with maybe slight improvements as he enters his prime. And that's a very good player. (It is not anything close to Robinson Cano, who hits for higher average and has better plate discipline.)

What I've been most encouraged with recently is Schoop's ability to hit to RF.

The best offensive comp for Schoop, though he isn't a 2B, is probably Adam Jones. They are very similar hitters. Schoop is a little ahead of where Adam was at the same age, and I think he potentially will be a slightly better hitter than Adam.

Schoop is a legit first division starter and has the potential for a few All-Star seasons (he's close to having one now). How cool would it be for the team to announce a Manny and Schoop to an extension on the same day?

He can't be an all star he was not a top 100 prospect. I wonder if he was in the Red Sox farm system he would have been a top 100 prospect.

Actually Baseball America had him at 82 one season so he did crack the list once.

Actually Baseball America had him at 82 one season so he did crack the list once.

And BP had him on their list three years in a row.

Overall, I think he's outperformed my expectations for him based on everything I heard when he was in the minors and his MiL stats. Specifically, he has developed more power than expected, and he has better hands defensively than had been indicated.

Schoop and Manny are our Whitaker and Trammel. You'd love to see them spend 12-15 years or more together.

Schoop is a legit first division starter and has the potential for a few All-Star seasons (he's close to having one now). How cool would it be for the team to announce a Manny and Schoop to an extension on the same day?

I think he would have a hard time making the all-star team with so many great second basemen in the American League.

Altuve

Kinsler

Cano

Pedoria

Odor

to name a few. But the is having a great season and hopefully many more.

Schoop has now played 161 games over the last two seasons: .285/.314/.491 with 34 doubles, 28 HR and 82 RBI. That's pretty much the player I expect him to be going forward, with maybe slight improvements as he enters his prime. And that's a very good player. (It is not anything close to Robinson Cano, who hits for higher average and has better plate discipline.)

What I've been most encouraged with recently is Schoop's ability to hit to RF.

The best offensive comp for Schoop, though he isn't a 2B, is probably Adam Jones. They are very similar hitters. Schoop is a little ahead of where Adam was at the same age, and I think he potentially will be a slightly better hitter than Adam.

Agreed - he has the same strengths and weaknesses as Jones - and they both have explosive swings.

Defensively, I think Schoop is the most physically tough 2bman I've seen. It's almost as if he'd welcome someone to try sliding into him. I think base-runners are afraid of him at times because of the way he just stands there - and him being decidedly bulkier than other 2nd basemen. One thing I have noticed more this year - he has a tendency to bobble more than his fair share of balls. Maybe I'm saying that only because he's playing with an infield full of fielders with outstanding hands - and it's not fair to compare him to them.

Archived