Lack of patience

evenparthrough9

It's maddening at times. For instance, last night in the 9th after Schoop walked, Alverez not only swings at the first pitch that's out of the zone, he swings at the first two that were balls. In his last 2 at bats, he saw 10 pitches, 9 of them were out of the zone, and struck out both times.

Wieters swung at the first pitch every time up, and AJ is totally clueless as to what a strike is. I'd never throw him a pitch in the zone.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's maddening at times. For instance, last night in the 9th after Schoop walked, Alverez not only swings at the first pitch that's out of the zone, he swings at the first two that were balls. In his last 2 at bats, he saw 10 pitches, 9 of them were out of the zone, and struck out both times.

Wieters swung at the first pitch every time up, and AJ is totally clueless as to what a strike is. I'd never throw him a pitch in the zone.

And the weird thing is that I thought they showed pretty good patience in the Tampa and San Diego games.

Alvarez was very frustrating last night...especially the 9th inning AB.

Which is supported by the fact, that his walk ratio is up this season.

Regarding the specific at bats mentioned in the OP, Cishek is a smart pitcher and fed Alvarez a steady diet of breaking balls in fastball counts. They all looked pretty nasty to me. Wieters got two juicy fastballs right in his power zone, he just missed them. I would have been mad if he HADN'T swung at them, to be honest. If you're talking about lack of patience throughout the game, what are you gonna do, Walker was around the plate the whole night. Striking out Kim twice is pretty tough to do, so hats off to him.

Regarding the specific at bats mentioned in the OP, Cishek is a smart pitcher and fed Alvarez a steady diet of breaking balls in fastball counts. They all looked pretty nasty to me. Wieters got two juicy fastballs right in his power zone, he just missed them. I would have been mad if he HADN'T swung at them, to be honest. If you're talking about lack of patience throughout the game, what are you gonna do, Walker was around the plate the whole night. Striking out Kim twice is pretty tough to do, so hats off to him.

Benoit made Alverez look foolish as well. Seemed as though Seattle was very patient and thus the 110+ Pitches in 5 IP for Tillman.

Benoit made Alverez look foolish as well. Seemed as though Seattle was very patient and thus the 110+ Pitches in 5 IP for Tillman.

Tillman couldn't throw his breaking stuff for strikes yesterday, and that allowed the hitters to sit on his fastball. End of story as to why he threw a lot of pitches.

That wasn't the most patient game for the Orioles, but for the most part, I'd credit good pitching. This year's team is far more patient than recent Oriole teams. They have 237 walks, 7th in the AL. They're 2nd in the league in OBP. I'm not going to complain because they had a few poor AB last night against some good pitchers.

Tillman couldn't throw his breaking stuff for strikes yesterday, and that allowed the hitters to sit on his fastball. End of story as to why he threw a lot of pitches.

That wasn't the most patient game for the Orioles, but for the most part, I'd credit good pitching. This year's team is far more patient than recent Oriole teams. They have 237 walks, 7th in the AL. They're 2nd in the league in OBP. I'm not going to complain because they had a few poor AB last night against some good pitchers.

Not going to complain either. The team is in first place and they can't win them

all.

Go O's

If a pitcher has good late movement on his pitches, he's going to make a lot of hitters look foolish. I'm sure other teams fans gnash their teeth every time Darren O'Day strikes someone out.

Yeah Britton is the classic example. The number of swings he gets out of zone is amazing. I think lefties should just leave their bat in the dugout and hope for a walk.

Yeah Britton is the classic example. The number of swings he gets out of zone is amazing. I think lefties should just leave their bat in the dugout and hope for a walk.

That's kind of what Kansas City did in the '14 playoff series.

Archived