Schmuck from the Sun says trade Trumbo

Going Underground

He brought up that he spoke to a high ranking Orioles official who said they would trade Trumbo for a third or fourth starter.Also mentioned the Nats Gio Gonzalez. He thought that the two teams would not make a trade .

That's why one Orioles decision-maker indicated before the club left on the current West Coast swing that the Orioles would not hesitate to deal Trumbo for a middle-of-the-rotation starter, and that was while the O's were having a very uplifting month of June. There has to be a heightened sense of urgency now that the Orioles are proving to be something other than road warriors.

Trumbo would only be attractive to a National League team that needs a starting first baseman or right fielder. There are a few teams that fit that description and even fewer that aren't also looking to upgrade their pitching staffs.

The Nationals, who reportedly have had talks with some teams about left-hander Gio Gonzalez, could probably carve out regular playing time for Trumbo at first base and in the outfield, but it's hard to imagine them making a deal with the Orioles in the middle of the long-running MASN rights dispute.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0706-20160705-column.html

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how that helps us this year. It would just create a void at OF/DH that was our achilles heel last year. As Buck says, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I doubt any non-contender gives us a TOR starter for a half season of Trumbo, and prospects don't help us this year. I just don't see how this helps us. If we are thinking of players on the active roster that we could give up for pitching help, Kim makes more sense. Cheaper, more years of control, more expendable on the O's side. It would pain me to give him up but I could see him being part of a package for Rich Hill.

I don't know how that helps us this year. It would just create a void at OF/DH that was our achilles heel last year. As Buck says, robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I doubt any non-contender gives us a TOR starter for a half season of Trumbo, and prospects don't help us this year. I just don't see how this helps us. If we are thinking of players on the active roster that we could give up for pitching help, Kim makes more sense. Cheaper, more years of control, more expendable on the O's side. It would pain me to give him up but I could see him being part of a package for Rich Hill.

Kim plays every day in left and Rickard/Reimold platoon in right.

If Trumbo reverts to form (which is likely) his glove is bad enough to suck almost all the value out of his bat.

Kim plays every day in left and Rickard/Reimold platoon in right.

If Trumbo reverts to form (which is likely) his glove is bad enough to suck almost all the value out of his bat.

Exactly. The problem we came up with in the other thread is that you'd have to find a contender that needed a bat, and was also willing to deal a mid rotation arm. It's a long shot because teams like to keep pitching, not lose it.

He mentioned Gio,but I have heard he is somewhat of a headcase and is not having a great year. He has two team or player options in 17/18 but not sure how it works if he gets traded.

Being that we are both semi-Nats fans here that watch Gio pitch on a regular basis...

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are trading for Gio is a big favor to the Nats. It just goes to show how appallingly bad our SP is if Gio helps us. As an O's fan, I would give little for Gio. As a Nats fan if I can clear a spot for Lucas or Latos AND get Trumbo, no brainer.

Being that we are both semi-Nats fans here that watch Gio pitch on a regular basis...

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are trading for Gio is a big favor to the Nats. It just goes to show how appallingly bad our SP is if Gio helps us. As an O's fan, I would give little for Gio. As a Nats fan if I can clear a spot for Lucas or Latos AND get Trumbo, no brainer.

I don't think it would happen. Schmuck said bad blood between the two teams. Rich owner games.

Archived