Duquette's offseason, in hindsight

Frobby

He might have gotten the job because that was his goal.

I would hope wanting to win would be every GM's eventual goal.

Since you feel like dodging ducking dipping darting and dodging let me try a different approach.

Do you think Dan's offseason following the 2012 season seemed like the offseason of someone that had a "win now" directive?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would hope wanting to win would be every GM's eventual goal.

Since you feel like dodging ducking dipping darting and dodging let me try a different approach.

Do you think Dan's offseason following the 2012 season seemed like the offseason of someone that had a "win now" directive?

I don't know how much money he had so I can't answer it without being a speculative liar kinda guy. I know he said they would stop losing then. And they have. Ever since.

Also, most GMs come with a five year plan. To win in the future. Dan came to win immediately. OR be a liar. He also said that .500 ball was not a goal. Immediately.

I don't know how much money he had so I can't answer it without being a speculative liar kinda guy. I know he said they would stop losing then. And they have. Ever since.

Also, most GMs come with a five year plan. To win in the future. Dan came to win immediately. OR be a liar. He also said that .500 ball was not a goal. Immediately.

Dan gets a lot of credit, as I showed above, but he was fortunate too. Adam Jones took a big step up that year, O'Day was signed before he arrived, Davis exceeded expectations, Jim Johnson had a huge year as the closer, and we won a ridiculous number of one-run and extra inning games. And, of course, Manny turned out to be ready for the big leagues a month after his 19th birthday. DD was in the right place at the right time and he made some moves that took advantage of it.

Dan gets a lot of credit, as I showed above, but he was fortunate too. Adam Jones took a big step up that year, O'Day was signed before he arrived, Davis exceeded expectations, Jim Johnson had a huge year as the closer, and we won a ridiculous number of one-run and extra inning games. And, of course, Manny turned out to be ready for the big leagues a month after his 19th birthday. DD was in the right place at the right time and he made some moves that took advantage of it.

Yep. And he said he would. Before he did. He never hid behind development or plan.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> have scored 146 runs in 7th inning or later to lead AL, 3rd in majors. Also lead AL, 3rd in majors with 42 HRs in 7th or later</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">July 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived