Manny at 3B: 1 error in 40 games

Frobby

Last year there was a lot of talk about Manny holding the ball too long and then making throwing errors when he tried to fire at maximum velocity. That criticism can't be leveled at him this year. He's made one error in 40 games at 3B and I'm pretty sure that was on a DP throw to Schoop. He might not have quite the range he had three years ago, but he's really an amazing 3B, and I've never seen an arm like his.

Last year there was a lot of talk about Manny holding the ball too long and then making throwing errors when he tried to fire at maximum velocity. That criticism can't be leveled at him this year. He's made one error in 40 games at 3B and I'm pretty sure that was on a DP throw to Schoop. He might not have quite the range he had three years ago, but he's really an amazing 3B, and I've never seen an arm like his.

He has been great but also Davis has gotten much better on defense that has helped him on low throws.

Nobody plays the slow roller up the 3B line as well as Manny - not even close. He makes the bare handed pick on those plays look routine. A lot of guys don't make those plays at all, and he makes them look easy. At 3B Manny is a game changer on defense.

We've seen astounding defense from him for three straight years and he makes tough plays look routine and pedestrian.

His greatness has been taken for granted from a defensive standpoint because we're just so used to it.

He's basically brooks Robinson with a slightly stronger arm.

With that said, yes, Davis's emergence as a gold glove caliber 1b has definitely helped prevent some errors for him this year.

Great problem to have.

We've seen astounding defense from him for three straight years and he makes tough plays look routine and pedestrian.

His greatness has been taken for granted from a defensive standpoint because we're just so used to it.

With that said, yes, Davis's emergence as a gold glove caliber 1b has definitely helped prevent some errors for him this year.

Great problem to have.

Great post! Agreed!

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but he made a large number of his errors last year in April in his first games back from surgery (didn't he miss spring training that year?). I think he was pretty solid at least in the second half last year. Notwithstanding yesterday's ugly game, the defense has been very solid and occasionally spectacular since JJ's return and Manny going back to 3B.

Great problem to have.

I was 10 and living a three blocks from Memorial Stadium when Brooks broke in. He is my all-time favorite professional athlete and only Ray Berry is close. Manny's arm is much more than "slightly stronger" than Brooks.' I think Brooks' transfer and release was faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not many third baseman make the final play Manny made to end the game today. Definitely not a routine play. Misplay it or fail to make it and its two runners on and some big hitters coming up. A very solid way to end the game and the first half of the season.I hope we find some way to sign Manny for a long term deal. I just think its going to take 30 million a year .

Absolutely it will. And he will be worth it. Hope we are able to afford it.

Let's get this young man signed long term right away.

Archived